Adding out-of-unit bishop

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
iwatanoiwa

Adding out-of-unit bishop

Post by iwatanoiwa »

Hello,
I am a stake clerk. We have a new bishop called and sustained today. I cannot add him using LCR. This URL (https://www.lds.org/help/support/member ... s?lang=eng) suggests that I first add the bishop as an 'out-of-unit' member before making him the bishop of the ward.

Leader and Clerk Resources (LCR) Procedures
Click here to go to the Out-of-Unit Members page in LCR, and follow the instructions given.

However, when I click on the link (https://beta.lds.org/mls/mbr/records/ou ... ind-member) I get an "Access Denied" message. Is this functionality that is not available now, or do I have to use MLS?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Adding out-of-unit bishop

Post by russellhltn »

You will have to have the ward clerk add him as a out-of-unit member.

Reference: Out of Unit Leadership callings
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Clerks on the stake level can't create out-of-unit membership records the same way that ward-level clerks can. There are two ways to do this:

1) Go to the bishopric organization page for the ward, and enter the new bishop's membership record number in the box for his name (I think this is the simplest). Then fill in the other boxes that pop up, like name, sustained date, and CDOL contact info. No need to create an out-of-unit membership record before recording the calling, as the record will be created automatically when you record the calling.

2) Have the clerk on the ward level create an out-of-unit membership record for the new bishop, then either you or he will be able to add him to his calling. Note that the new counselors will need to be recorded entirely on the ward level (only the bishop himself can be recorded on the stake level).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:Go to the bishopric organization page for the ward, and enter the new bishop's membership record number in the box for his name (I think this is the simplest). Then fill in the other boxes that pop up, like name, sustained date, and CDOL contact info. No need to create an out-of-unit membership record before recording the calling, as the record will be created automatically when you record the calling.
Has the change that scgallafent talked about been done? It didn't use to work that way.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

This is how I put in 5 new bishops in my stake, back in May (on the beta). I just went to the callings by organization page for each ward, found the bishopric organization, removed the old bishopric, entered the new bishop's membership record number, then filled in the other fields. Maybe a bug creeped in since then; I haven't needed to use the feature since. I only needed to involve the wards for counselors.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:No need to create an out-of-unit membership record before recording the calling, as the record will be created automatically when you record the calling.
At first, LCR worked this way, but now the unit has to create an out-of-unit record before entering a calling. There may be discussion on changing it back, but two weeks ago, that was what had to happen.

However, since the stake has to record the bishop calling, and is not able to create an out-of-unit record in the ward, there may be an exception in the software so the stake is able to record the calling of the new bishop.

Or it may be that the ward creates an OOU record, and then the stake records the bishop, and then everything shows up properly. It the latter is true, I would submit feedback. The stake shouldn't have to wait for the ward to do anything to update the bishop calling.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Right now, adding an out of unit bishop requires that:
1. The existing bishop or clerk add the new bishop as an out-of-unit member in the ward
2. The stake record the bishop change

This is a result of adding a requirement that the bishop have an out-of-unit record in the ward and it not an ideal experience. There is some work going on to improve this process.

There was another issue that occurred when the out-of-unit bishop was a member of another unit in the same stake (a care center branch, for example) that has been resolved. That fix has been deployed to production.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”