Broadcast emails??

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
clarettamariehayden

Broadcast emails??

Post by clarettamariehayden »

I'm signed in as a Leader trying to send a broadcast email to our Relief Society - There's supposed to be a place to email, but I don't see it now. Help please!
mfmohlma

Re: Broadcast emails??

Post by mfmohlma »

In Directory, click on "Ward Organizations", then "Relief Society", then "Email all Relief Society...". You will get instructions on how to copy and paste the email list into your email client.

It is a very good idea to use the "Bcc:" field to avoid a long "To:" list and publishing the email addresses to the other recipients on the list.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

First off, I'm not sure if this way works, but in LCR there is a way for leadership to email everyone in the ward. I know that there are divisions similar to the LDS.org directory on there for the different classes. I'm not sure if RS has access to this messaging system or if it is only the bishopric and executive secretary.
mevans

Post by mevans »

kellymab wrote:First off, I'm not sure if this way works, but in LCR there is a way for leadership to email everyone in the ward. I know that there are divisions similar to the LDS.org directory on there for the different classes. I'm not sure if RS has access to this messaging system or if it is only the bishopric and executive secretary.
Yes, there is a way to do this with Send a Message, (LCR/Applications/Send a Message) but that only gives you pre-created leadership groups. There is not one to send to All Relief Society. I believe some people, based on their callings, have some other options, but I, as a clerk, can only message leadership groups. I don't know which callings have access to Send a Message, but there are some limitations:
  • It only sends a message to those whose email is set to Stake Visibility. (This is a known issue.)
  • You have no options to format the message or include attachments. That isn't always a problem; it depends on the message you need to send.
jgoodm3

Post by jgoodm3 »

Does anyone know if there is a way to determine which privacy choice members have made relative to their email address? I see that there is a message that pops up when you want to send an email message "XX recipients have opted out or do not have an email address in Ward Directory / MLS". If they selected "Private - Leaders Only" in their Contact Settings does that mean they have "opted out"? Does the email still get sent but just aren't displayed on lds.org / LDSTools? Thanks
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

Through trial and error, we have found they only get sent to those with privacy set to stake visibility.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jgoodm3 wrote:Does anyone know if there is a way to determine which privacy choice members have made relative to their email address?
The bishopric/clerks can check individual's settings. I don't think there's a quick way to get a list of everyone by setting.

jgoodm3 wrote:If they selected "Private - Leaders Only" in their Contact Settings does that mean they have "opted out"?
Due to a number of factors, at this time any setting other than "stake" results in "opting out".

jgoodm3 wrote:Does the email still get sent but just aren't displayed on lds.org / LDSTools?
It gets sent to everyone else who hasn't opted out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I'm pretty sure Send a Message used to tell you who the people were who opted out if you tried to include them in a message. Now it just excludes them. I found it helpful that it told me to I could talk to those people. I've found that almost everyone whose setting was private wasn't even aware of the setting and was happy to change it to Stake. Recently, I've realized that some organization presidency members have the private setting and weren't getting some emails I sent through Send a Message. I need to figure out who they are and see if they want their setting changed.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

mevans wrote:I'm pretty sure Send a Message used to tell you who the people were who opted out if you tried to include them in a message. Now it just excludes them. I found it helpful that it told me to I could talk to those people. I've found that almost everyone whose setting was private wasn't even aware of the setting and was happy to change it to Stake. Recently, I've realized that some organization presidency members have the private setting and weren't getting some emails I sent through Send a Message. I need to figure out who they are and see if they want their setting changed.
That tool hasn't been updated for a long time, but telling you who is opted out is based on calling. As an assistant stake clerk it doesn't tell me, but back when I last checked it told my stake clerk. So you could have your ward clerk add the leaders to a message and it should tell him who is opted out.
Squirrel6s

Post by Squirrel6s »

In the iOS mobile app, I can create a list that has specific sisters on it for emailing and it saves that list in my device. There are a few sisters who don't want messages. But, I CANNOT do this when using a desktop computer. Is that correct? It's frustrating that the mobile app seems to have some functionality that the regular website does not. I don't really want to do emails from the ipad. :-(

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”