Donations in foreign currency

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lkjensen

Donations in foreign currency

Post by lkjensen »

A missionary who just returned from the Philippines was given some local currency to help pay for expenses for the trip home. He was told that if there were any funds left over (which there were) he was to donate it to our ward missionary account on his return.

I don't know how to process a donation in a foreign currency (even after a call to the Global Support line, where the person didn't seem to know how to do it either), so I just asked him to go to a bank and exchange the currency for U.S. dollars, then make the donation.

Is there a way to process foreign currency directly in a donation batch, or is there a better way to handle this than using the bank exchange first?

Thank you for your suggestions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Donations in foreign currency

Post by russellhltn »

lkjensen wrote:so I just asked him to go to a bank and exchange the currency for U.S. dollars, then make the donation.
Works for me.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Donations in foreign currency

Post by lajackson »

lkjensen wrote:Is there a way to process foreign currency directly in a donation batch, or is there a better way to handle this than using the bank exchange first?
I think you did it the best way possible. The only currency you can process in a donation batch is the local currency (i.e., USDollars in the U.S., Canadian Dollars in Canada, etc.).

Return to “Local Unit Finance”