Add wifi cards to clerk computers?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
darinterry

Add wifi cards to clerk computers?

Post by darinterry »

Is there a standard for adding wifi cards or usb sticks to church computers? Is there a reason we don't have computers with built-in wifi? We have had several challenges with our local ISP and there have been days when the entire connection is down. MLS can't transmit. If we had wifi on the clerks computers, we could borrow a hotspot and still transmit. Any suggestions?
drepouille

Re: Add wifi cards to clerk computers?

Post by drepouille »

You can certainly connect your clerk's computer to the meetinghouse firewall using a wireless adapter, but you cannot connect it to a hotspot or a neighbor's wireless, because all MLS transmissions must go through the VPN provided by the meetinghouse firewall.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
darinterry

Post by darinterry »

Thanks Dana.
So again, what wireless adapter is recommended and why don't the computers come with built-in wifi.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The recommendation is for computers to be hardwired to the firewall. If you want to explore an alternate connection, it should be done on the other side of the firewall - not at the computer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
darinterry

Post by darinterry »

Makes sense. Thanks for the quick replies.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

darinterry wrote:Thanks Dana.
So again, what wireless adapter is recommended and why don't the computers come with built-in wifi.
Well, they do. The new standard computer is the Lenovo M73 Tiny, which has a built-in wireless adapter. That is the computer the Church sent to all the FMs to replace the last remaining Windows XP computers.

As for wireless adapters, we started using Linksys WRT54G adapters years ago. When those began to fail, I switched to Netgear N600 adapters. About a month after I installed those, my FM decided it was time to wire all the clerk's offices in the stake center.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:Well, they do. The new standard computer is the Lenovo M73 Tiny, which has a built-in wireless adapter. That is the computer the Church sent to all the FMs to replace the last remaining Windows XP computers.

As for wireless adapters, we started using Linksys WRT54G adapters years ago. When those began to fail, I switched to Netgear N600 adapters. About a month after I installed those, my FM decided it was time to wire all the clerk's offices in the stake center.
It's worth pointing out that's for connecting to the Meetinghouse Internet - though the provided firewall. Not for bypassing it.

The real problem here is the ISP situation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I'm quite certain that MANY clerk computers connect through wireless because their FMG did not run ethernet anywhere other than the WAP's.... Nobody has ever said, purchase a certain brand of wireless adapter. By this point, they are all the same and are quite cheap.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:I'm quite certain that MANY clerk computers connect through wireless because their FMG did not run ethernet anywhere other than the WAP's.
But in that case FM should be buying.

johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Individual results may vary :)
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Clerk Computers”