Missionary Unit Email Addresses

rich

Missionary Unit Email Addresses

Post by rich »

I checked the forum and haven't seen this topic raised. If this is not the correct forum or section, please forward these 2 requests below.

My ward missionaries received their iPad's for digitizing missionary work, shared their location specific (123456789@mormon.org) email address and then shared that they can interact with the ward council on a daily basis.

If mormon.org wants assigned missionaries to interact with ward councils, please consider the following:

1. Alias the unrecognizable email address (123456789@mormon.org) to something more user friendly (i.e. northbranchward_missionaries@mormon.org or even to 46299@mormon.org from CDOL, maybe only a clerk recognizes)

2. Add the location (ward) specific email address to lds.org/directory for the [Assigned Missionaries] entry
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Missionary Unit Email Addresses

Post by jdlessley »

Data about missionaries serving in a unit as well as the interface the missionaries themselves may have with LDS.org and many other Church sites is managed from the mission office serving your unit. Issues and feedback beyond the management at the serving mission office need to go through the Missionary Department. There is nothing we can do in the forum since it is primarily user-to-user support. We can discuss it but that is about it.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
rich

Post by rich »

Great, thanks for the redirect. I'll nudge the mission secretary.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

There are several difficulties with having "readable" email addresses for missionaries:
1) eldersmith_elderjones@mormon.org. You can't use the missionaries' names, because they change often and you want the people in the area to only have to use one address. Also, there are probably several missionaries with the same names throughout the Church.
2) northbranchward_missionaries@mormon.org. There's more than one North Branch Ward in the Church: one in Branchburg, New Jersey, and one in North Branch, Minnesota. That won't work very well, either, unless you add the city, state, and country to be specific, which would make the email address really long.
3) 46299@mormon.org. While the unit number is unique to a ward, often missionaries are assigned to more than one ward, or there are more than one set of missionaries in a single ward. My missionaries here are assigned to multiple stakes; and I've been in a ward with three sets of missionaries to itself.

I don't know what the number currently used in an email address stands for, but I'm guessing it's a unique "area" number, a cannonical equivalent to a unit number but in a mission. It may even include the mission's unit number.

I think adding "missionaries" to the email address somewhere would be helpful, like "missionaries_123456789@mormon.org," but I don't know what better system could be used.

I do agree that Mormon.org email addresses should be added to the LDS.org Directory.

EDIT: Mormon.org email addresses for missionaries do appear in the LDS Tools app, just not in the LDS.org Directory. Also, the number does not seem to correspond at all with the mission's unit number.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Mobile Applications”