MLS remote access

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
bcraig-p40

MLS remote access

Post by bcraig-p40 »

I am a ward clerk and have a suggestion for MLS. It would be great to access MLS at home with a secure login to request records and make other updates. This would also be great to input home teaching and visiting teaching remotely. This would save members a lot of time, gas, and money in fulfilling their callings. Our stake has started doing some bishop training meetings by telephone to help save time and fuel with high fuel costs these days.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Maybe it can be done through a remote control software (VNC) and an Internet connection. This require branch's Pc always ON. Also this allow only one user at the time.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's been requested by many to expand LUWS to do those functions on-line.

As for remoteing the ward PC, the policy allows it for "diagnostic purposes" but there's nothing I know of that permits that for general use.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

We were also supposed to have someone at the unit computer, although that requirement has not been specifically enumerated in more recent instructions.
bcraig-p40

Post by bcraig-p40 »

Thanks for the response. If we could request membership records and perform other functions such as updating addresses, phone numbers, reporting VT and HT online at home without having to go to the church, that would be a great feature.
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

Amen. We all recognize the need for an scaled back online version of MLS. However, it is just a fantasy for now.....
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
Ivan-p40

Post by Ivan-p40 »

What is the church's policy concerning remote access? With secure programs such as gotomypc.com, there should be very little concern. I also echo the concern about the cost and time involved with travel. We also deal with the fact, that when we have meetings, we also do the computer work/reports, but that means that potentially there are 3-4 of us competing for a single computer at the same time. Bottlenecks and travel would be greatly relieved by allowing remote access. Also, now that we have wireless internet in our building, having remote access would allow us to live access and utilization of MLS in our stake presidency meetings, PEC, etc. from another room other than the clerks room.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Ivan wrote:What is the church's policy concerning remote access?
There doesn't seem to be unanimity on the interpretation of the policy. But you can read this post and those that follow it and draw your own conclusions in consultation with your priesthood leaders.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Ivan wrote:What is the church's policy concerning remote access? With secure programs such as gotomypc.com, there should be very little concern.

I don't see how GoToMyPC could possibly be allowed within current Church policy and procedures, since using this application typically entails leaving the MLS computer running unattended.
Ivan-p40

Post by Ivan-p40 »

I'm not sure that I've seen this policy - could you please reference this statement. Any remote access program, not just GoToMyPC, would require the computer to be left on. Most business, I would venture to say, do leave at least their main servers turned on. MLS is still password protected, and the door to the clerk's office should be locked and only accessible to those who have permission. Furthermore, at least with GoToMyPC, one can blank the host screen and lock the host computer keyboard and mouse, preventing any unauthorized use or observance from occuring while remotely connected. I'm not a computer expert, but I simply don't understand the resistance to remote access.
boomerbubba wrote:I don't see how GoToMyPC could possibly be allowed within current Church policy and procedures, since using this application typically entails leaving the MLS computer running unattended.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”