Food Storage Long Term Storage Recommendations

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
rickgwilliams

Food Storage Long Term Storage Recommendations

Post by rickgwilliams »

What are the long term food storage requirements for food storage?

I heard a Gospel Doctrine teacher say the other day that Food Storage was no longer relevant and not being taught by the Brethren. is this true?

Also is Providentliving.org maintained by the Church it has BYU recommendations on how much to store but others say it is not from the Church or the Brethren.
eblood66

Re: Food Storage Long Term Storage Recommendations

Post by eblood66 »

rickgwilliams wrote:What are the long term food storage requirements for food storage?
https://www.lds.org/topics/food-storage ... lang=eng#4 contains information on long term storage.
rickgwilliams wrote:I heard a Gospel Doctrine teacher say the other day that Food Storage was no longer relevant and not being taught by the Brethren. is this true?
The church itself sells food for long term food storage directly from store.lds.org. I don't know why the church would do that food storage wasn't still relevant and considered important.

And just a few months ago President Monson wrote "We should remember that the best storehouse system would be for every family in the Church to have a supply of food, clothing, and, where possible, other necessities of life" (September 2014 Ensign). The same message talks about food storage at other points as well.
rickgwilliams wrote:Also is Providentliving.org maintained by the Church it has BYU recommendations on how much to store but others say it is not from the Church or the Brethren.
ProvidentLiving.org is the same as providentliving.lds.org which is part of the official church website. It isn't a BYU website. As such I think you can consider it as official as any other part of lds.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rickgwilliams wrote:What are the long term food storage requirements for food storage?
I'm not seeing a set of "requirements", but rather the general goal of longer term storage.

rickgwilliams wrote:I heard a Gospel Doctrine teacher say the other day that Food Storage was no longer relevant and not being taught by the Brethren. is this true?
I think you need to bring that to the attention of the bishop. Teachers are supposed to be sticking to the manual and not straying into hearsay. This principle can be seen in Lesson 3: The Teacher’s Divine Commission

rickgwilliams wrote:Also is Providentliving.org maintained by the Church it has BYU recommendations on how much to store but others say it is not from the Church or the Brethren.
The website is owned by Intellectual Reserve - as is lds.org. (You can verify it at internic.com) And you can certainly find information about food storage on the lds.org website, such as here. The pamphlet All is Safely Gathered In, copyrighted in 2007 can be found there, with a forward by the First Presidency.

Doing a search on General Conference, I'm not seeing any mention of "food storage" since 2008 - but I would be cautious about drawing any conclusions from that. It may be that other things are more important at this time, or perhaps it's out of consideration to members' financial situation with the economic downturn. But it's has not been retracted and I certainly wouldn't say it's no longer relevant.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

There has been less emphasis on a "year's supply," but food storage is still in force as a prophetic recommendation. Most of what you see from recent official sources is to gradually build up to a rotating three-month supply. I don't know if a year's supply is still recommended.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There's probably more emphasis on a 3-day supply to deal with natural disasters. That's one that's preached even by local government officials.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rickgwilliams

Post by rickgwilliams »

Member stated The "Church" doesn't have much to do with the Providentliving.org site. It is watched over by a sister employee who doesn't know that much about food storage obviously. If it has links to BYU about food storage they are not from the Brethren.

Long Term Shelf Life
At a home storage center individuals can purchase food items such as wheat, dry beans, rice, and other products that have been prepackaged for longer-term storage. Consider using this resource from the BYU Nutrition, Dietetics & Food Science department: An Approach to Longer-Term Food Storage.
It seems that food storage is not a big concern according to this member and the sister employee over the food storage site.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

I know our local bishop's storehouse is just now opening up a new "store" in a room off the regular storehouse for members to purchase bulk and other food storage items, so it certainly doesn't appear to me that the church thinks food storage is no longer relevant.

You may wish to obtain the pamphlet (or read online)
All Is Safely Gathered In: Family Home Storage
as mentioned by others already in this thread. It might seem to some a "step down" from the previous suggestion of a years supply of food, but to me it just seems to take a rational approach:
We encourage Church members worldwide to prepare for adversity in life by having a basic supply of food and water and some money in savings.

We ask that you be wise as you store food and water and build your savings. Do not go to extremes; it is not prudent, for example, to go into debt to establish your food storage all at once. With careful planning, you can, over time, establish a home storage supply and a financial reserve.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rickgwilliams wrote:Member stated The "Church" doesn't have much to do with the Providentliving.org site. It is watched over by a sister employee who doesn't know that much about food storage obviously.
Please be careful about repeating second-hand unsubstantiated rumors. The Church owns and maintains the ProvidentLiving.org website. That site is simply a part of LDS.org, and as such is an official website of the Church. It contains far more than just food storage information; I guarantee that the entire ProvidentLiving.org site is not watched over by one sister employee.
rickgwilliams wrote:If it has links to BYU about food storage they are not from the Brethren.
It hardly seems appropriate to throw doubt on the entire site just because of a single link to BYU. BYU happens to be an institution of research and higher learning owned and directed by the Church. It's quite plausible that the "Brethren" would approve having a link on an official Church website to a resource from BYU's Nutrition, Dietetics & Food Science department, especially when that resource specifically refers to Home Storage Centers and the online store on LDS.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The brethren say what and why. I don't see anything unusual for them to defer the details of the how to those with expertise in the field.

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Instruction that each member should build up a reserve of money and food was repeated – by President Monson – as recently as September 2014: https://www.lds.org/ensign/2014/09/are- ... d?lang=eng

Again, the prophetic council to have food storage is still in force – but the implementation specifics (for example, "year's supply") may vary depending on your circumstances.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Main Church Website”