Legacy Cleared Submissions

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
BradJackman-p40

Legacy Cleared Submissions

Post by BradJackman-p40 »

One of the features I thought was promised during the beta tests of NFS was a better system of managing cleared temple names. As far as I understood, there was to be a limit to the amount of names one could reserve, and there would be a time limit for how long they could be reserved for. Of course, after cards were printed it would be impossible to arbitrarily take back the submission and give it to someone else.

Does anyone know:
Are there limits on the amount of names that can be reserved?
Is there a time limit for reservation?
Is there anyway to recapture abandoned submissions that have been cleared?
Under the TempleReady system, a "cleared" submission remains in the system indefinately, is there any change in NFS?

Additionally, it seems like there should be a way to claim legacy submissions of temple work, and a way to identify who has cleared the work in the past. The TempleReady submission process requires a name and address for submission, and even asks if the submitter would like to have their information listed publicly for others to contact them. This seems like the perfect use of this information - list who submitted these legacy temple submissions, let users claim them, and reprint cards if they've been lost, or release them for others to perform.

In NFS, where there's no way to get around a 15 year old "cleared" listing, this will become more of an issue. Well, I guess you could always add a new individual with the same info, clear the submission yourself, complete the temple work, and then merge it into the existing file. But don't tell anyone I said that.
garysturn

Post by garysturn »

I have heard that some of these limits are being considered but I am not aware of any limits at the present time. It is hard to set limits that would work for everyone. In some parts of the world some people may only be able to attend the Temple once in a lifetime and they want to reserve the names of their parents and grandparents for that one trip. In other areas restrictions make sense.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

Hmmmm. . . it seems to me that a good software program would not require work-arounds to accomplish direct, desirable tasks.

Also, I don't see any reasonably time efficient way to search nFS to know if I am one of the guilty with outstanding 15 or 20 year old incomplete cards----especially for the opposite gender. (I probably am. I figure that when the new Legacy software update for nFS is available, I'll create a list for Legacy to search while I go to work or sleep or whatever. Ah, but now I'm looking for another work-around, aren't I?!? :D)
BradJackman wrote: ------------snip-------------------
In NFS, where there's no way to get around a 15 year old "cleared" listing, this will become more of an issue. Well, I guess you could always add a new individual with the same info, clear the submission yourself, complete the temple work, and then merge it into the existing file. But don't tell anyone I said that.

Return to “Family History”