Rebaptism

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Tana1974

Rebaptism

Post by Tana1974 »

A sister who requested her name be removed from the church records some 15 years ago has decided to be re-baptised. There was no disciplinary action involved. Any special paperwork?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Rebaptism

Post by aebrown »

Tana1974 wrote:A sister who requested her name be removed from the church records some 15 years ago has decided to be re-baptised. There was no disciplinary action involved. Any special paperwork?
Yes. There is special paperwork for this case. I don't have access to it anymore, but I know there's a form to be filled out to explain the situation. After all, the fact that there was no disciplinary action involved doesn't meant that there were no issues that might have required disciplinary action had the person not simply decided to have her name removed from the Church records. You can ask your stake clerk for assistance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd check Handbook 1: 6.14.4. Even for a voluntary name removal, I'd think there would still be a Report of Administrative Action that the bishop or SP needs to request.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

My stake recently held a Membership Council for a previously excommunicated endowed elder. The result of the council was to grant readmission. The stake clerk has told the bishop to initiate the online (LCR) process for rebaptism. However, I believe that the stake must first submit to minutes of the Membership Council to the OFP for approval before any further action can be taken at the local level. I seem to remember that the OFP sends a formal letter to the stake president that includes directions on how to proceed with the rebaptism and reconfirmation.

Am I remembering correctly?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

drepouille wrote:My stake recently held a Membership Council for a previously excommunicated endowed elder. The result of the council was to grant readmission. The stake clerk has told the bishop to initiate the online (LCR) process for rebaptism. However, I believe that the stake must first submit to minutes of the Membership Council to the OFP for approval before any further action can be taken at the local level. I seem to remember that the OFP sends a formal letter to the stake president that includes directions on how to proceed with the rebaptism and reconfirmation.

Am I remembering correctly?
I believe the next step is for the stake clerk should complete the report of the membership council in LCR.
Membership > Membership Councils
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I just chatted with the Confidential Records department. They agreed with my stake clerk that the brother should be immediately rebaptized and reconfirmed. However, the ward cannot submit the Report of Church Membership Council form through LCR, because the council was held at the stake level. After the ordinances are completed, the ward simply passes those dates on to the stake for inclusion in the report.

Note: Immediate rebaptism is only allowed if First Presidency approval is NOT required by one of the nine cases listed in 32.16.1. Otherwise, we would need to wait for a letter of approval.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:After the ordinances are completed, the ward simply passes those dates on to the stake for inclusion in the report.
The stake should have a place in the report to record the baptism and confirmation, and any priesthood ordination that should also take place.

In this particular case, there will be no priesthood ordination because that will come later when blessings are restored. And as you mentioned, the baptism only takes place if First Presidency approval was not required.

Return to “Membership Help”