Organizing Visiting Teaching

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
lbr4

Organizing Visiting Teaching

Post by lbr4 »

I am a new Relief Society President and am being introduced to the vt reporting and forms online, which are great, but I was wondering if there was anything visual to help in the process of making changes. For example, right now the ward has a magnetic board with strips of everyone's name on it, and as changes are made, the strips are moved around with domino effect that happens when making changes. I will be honest, I was stunned when I first saw this- I had asked "Isn't there a computer program for this?!" Is there one that my ward just does not know about it?"

It there is not, it would be nice to have something, maybe similar to what we see in Family Search as a "tree" view. So when you move a person, you can see the domino effect and are able to go back in and fill in the blanks because the computer has noted them. Something like that? Does that make sense?

Does everyone really use magnetic boards? really? If not, what does everyone do right now?

Lisa
davesudweeks

Re: Organizing Visiting Teaching

Post by davesudweeks »

There is an Android app called "President's Whiteboard" that was coded by a class at BYU-H. However it is one-way - you export the data from MLS (either HT or VT) and then import it into the app. You can slide families (sisters) around from group to group and also change the companionships. There is no way to "upload" the changes - you have to enter them manually by looking at the device and inputting them online. It is unclear if it will work with exports from Leader and Clerk Resources (I have not looked into that).

Here is the link to the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... yrum&hl=en

I don't think there is an IOS version.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:you export the data from MLS (either HT or VT) and then import it into the app.
Since MLS doesn't contain current data, that won't work anymore. I'm not sure as LCR has an export.

By the time you hand enter stuff into any program, I'm not sure as there's any advantage over a magnet board or slips of paper.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lbr4 wrote:Does everyone really use magnetic boards? really? If not, what does everyone do right now?
I use pencil and paper. It is more compact and portable and I do not have to be at the magnetic board to do it.

Another system I have used is a word processing document that I edit. A spreadsheet would probably work better, but I have not yet set up one. With an electronic file, I can at least carry it around on my laptop.

I had not heard of the Android app but I may look at it.

I have heard that mission presidents now have a computerized tool that allows them to look at missionary companionship assignments without having to use a magnetic picture board. That would be nice if it is true.

Yes, decidedly low tech, isn't it?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Yes, decidedly low tech, isn't it?
And as someone pointed out, name a large church that does better. I imagine there's a number of good-sized churches that are envious of our systems.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lbr4

Post by lbr4 »

Ok good to know. I would love to know if our great lds tech people have thought of something like this or if something is in the works.

It would be great tool! Just throwing that out there!

Thanks!

Lisa
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lbr4 wrote:I would love to know if our great lds tech people have thought of something like this
It's not up to the tech people. The small group of developers work under the direction of the Priesthood department and/or a sponsoring department (in this case the General Relief Society Presidency) to create the programs they desire.

I have no idea if this is in the works or not, but chances are other things are a higher priority. So it's going to be awhile, even if it does come.

If I had to do this task, here's what I'd do:
  • Print a list of companionships on colored paper.
  • Print a list of Sisters to be visited on plain paper.
  • Cut up the two lists:
    • Each companionship (or even teacher) on one strip of paper,
    • each sister to be visited on one strip.
You've now got a slips of papers that can be organized and shuffled around - magnetic board style - without having to type or write names! (I'm lazy that way.) Just make sure you're away from any fans or open windows. ;)

lbr4

Post by lbr4 »

thanks for the info and explaining the tech process.

To have to lay out little pieces of paper every time.... yeah, I think I will just stick with magnets.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lbr4 wrote:To have to lay out little pieces of paper every time.... yeah, I think I will just stick with magnets.
Nothing wrong with the magnets - just that you may have to update them for people who have moved in/out. That's why I was starting with a current print-out.

hardya1

Post by hardya1 »

Since any list can be easily printed out at home, I've had no need for any other aids like magnets. Laying out the different types of lists-then making changes by notating it on the printed sheets then inputting information has stopped hours of transferring information.

However, I can NOT find a way to look at individual visiting teaching routes reporting information more than the previous 2 months. I would like to request that the visiting teaching information can be viewed for the quarter, rather than a month being added & a month being dropped. Quarterly information is confusing when we are looking at other quarters information. Also when we make changes in the middle of a quarter those sisters printouts are including other quarters information. Hope this makes since, to someone. Short take, keep the quarterly information together!

Return to “General Discussions”