Prepare and passing sacrament

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
pgm44
Location: Philippines, Cagayan de Oro city, Northern Mindanao

Prepare and passing sacrament

Post by pgm44 »

After questions from some young women, "why can young women not prepare and pass the sacrament" I looked around for an answer to their question "

In the website: http://www.nearingkolob.com/women-allow ... sacrament/
I found some information, but not clear enough to me to talk about it with my Bishop about it.

If we remember that administer means “to manage or be responsible for” then a following analogy makes clear women should be able to participate in the sacrament by preparing and passing it:

A CEO, as an administrator, manages and is responsible for his/her company with men and women working together to run the company. Similarly, scripture says that priests should administer the sacrament. They can administer the sacrament by managing it, being responsible for it, and blessing the sacrament, with men and women working together under the priests to see that the sacrament is available to all people desiring to partake of it.

Hope to read here the answer.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Prepare and passing sacrament

Post by russellhltn »

The direction can be found in Handbook 2: 20.4 Sacrament. It's quite clear from the official instruction manual of the church that one needs to be a priesthood holder to prepare, bless, or pass the sacrament. Local units are not authorized to deviate from the instructions.

Any further discussion should take place with your bishop or stake president. The forum is primarily for supporting technology, not to debate church policy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Re: Prepare and passing sacrament

Post by johnshaw »

There has been plenty of debate and discussion around handbook direction and policy on this forum over the years. It is not specifically for supporting technology, and includes supporting the administrative work of the church including record keeping, clerk and execsec duties. I get that this is a touchy subject for some, for others it is long overdue.

PGM44, I echo the idea that you should bring this up with your priesthood leaders and allow them to counsel together and with their Area Authority Seventy. I've participated in several healthy discussions of this topic and other similar ones in Stake Presidency meetings.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “General Discussions”