Membership Audit

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
momasboy

Membership Audit

Post by momasboy »

i am a new Stake clerk and I have a question about membership audits. The previous stake clerk told me that the wards will complete the membership audits on their own. My role is to assist the wards if they need help.
After reading through the forums it seems like I'm supposed to physically go to each unit to conduct the membership audit, which is contrary to what I was told by our previous stake clerk. I'm just trying to understand my role, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brother Lovell
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Membership Audit

Post by russellhltn »

Handbook 1: 13.6.24 says it's a Stake Clerk.

The Help Center's Conduct and Submit the Membership Record Audit has more details.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Based on step 12, it sounds like the bishop and ward clerk must be present, but it's a stake clerk who performs the audit – similar to the financial audit.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

momasboy wrote:i am a new Stake clerk
Consult with your stake presidency. As the "new stake clerk," you are now responsible to both your stake presidency and to the Lord, so policies going forward should be as you direct.
momasboy wrote:The previous stake clerk told me that the wards will complete the membership audits on their own
We did that, but I regretted it and suggested we return. From my experience, this will guarantee a few late audits, and there is no guarantee of consistency of results. If you have ever sat in on a financial audit, imagine a ward clerk auditing his own financial clerk- Problems found are usually unknown by the ward, until pointed out by others who "examine" the books and practices. This is your opportunity to check the ward clerks understanding and perhaps pin-point any training needed. You might look at your stake's Record Keeping Status Report in the Membership Audit column for the submission dates for last year, and the "problems found" for each ward for an estimation of how well it went last year. On time submissions with 0 problems could mean everything is great, or very little care was made to complete an audit. (if the audit was unattended, you won't know which one it is....)
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!
chrisgrant

Post by chrisgrant »

kisaac wrote:If you have ever sat in on a financial audit, imagine a ward clerk auditing his own financial clerk.
In a financial audit, the auditor is making independent assessments. For example, he inspects a random weekly packet to see if it contains the documents it ought to contain. This does not seem analogous to what goes on in a membership audit, where the stake clerk is essentially just walking the ward clerk through answering the questions himself. For example, the ward clerk looks over the list of allegedly single members and says whether they really are single. The stake clerk doesn't randomly telephone someone on the list and ask them if they really are single. What does the presence of the stake clerk really add to this process?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The annual membership audit is a wonderful training opportunity. Either the stake clerk or his assistant for membership has the opportunity to visit with each ward clerk and membership clerk, and walk them through the audit. He can also use this time to walk them through LCR to ensure they are familiar with all the reports and features available to them.
For example, I had the ward membership clerk sit at the computer while the ward clerk and I watched. I learned that many membership clerks receive very little training and experience, and end up doing nothing. Several membership clerks expressed wide-eyed amazement at all the features available to them.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

chrisgrant wrote:
kisaac wrote:If you have ever sat in on a financial audit, imagine a ward clerk auditing his own financial clerk.
In a financial audit, the auditor is making independent assessments. For example, he inspects a random weekly packet to see if it contains the documents it ought to contain. This does not seem analogous to what goes on in a membership audit, where the stake clerk is essentially just walking the ward clerk through answering the questions himself.
Not a direct correlation, sure. So, lets change YOUR phrase "Making independent assessments" to "allowing the clerk to account for his stewardship to his leaders." Would that also be accurate of both the financial and membership audit?

The level of importance that our leaders apply, both to a financial audit and a membership audit, is the same level the bishop and ward clerk will apply. Having your stake president require an accounting from each ward bishop and clerk through his stake clerks will raise the level of importance of your membership audit, and the quality of your records will increase. After all, would a temple recommend interview be the same if we just "checked some boxes" on an online form?

Lets look at your question:
chrisgrant wrote:For example, the ward clerk looks over the list of allegedly single members and says whether they really are single.
What would you say about all the names in your ward? When I was a clerk, I had some I suspected where married, but had no date to enter, and several we just didn't know. When somebody doesn't show up at church, it is a little tough to bring up the subject of marriage. If someone was auditing me, I could ask about them...it's not like I'm going to lie just to be over with it. The stake clerks had an opportunity to both train and encourage me. If no stake clerk cared to come ask, I guess I'd do it just like the clerk before me did...
Which would be like the ward clerk auditing his finance clerk; hence, my comment.

Do I think we can vastly improve the membership audit process? Absolutely! Here is a post including a training template I made for a clerk training on the Membership Audit:
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

drepouille wrote:Several membership clerks expressed wide-eyed amazement at all the features available to them.
Clerk training starts from the top down!
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

momasboy wrote:which is contrary to what I was told by our previous stake clerk. I'm just trying to understand my role, any help would be appreciated.
Others have already covered it well, but my situation was that I was a ward clerk in the same stake I was called to be the stake clerk for, so I knew first hand that the previous stake clerk's information wasn't going to be much use to me (I learned quickly he had NO answers for me as a clerk, he had never served as a ward clerk before being the stake clerk) - so I had no ill-conceptions about things I was told.

I found a reference once on end-of-year report that had a coversheet on it that referenced a stake-clerk's handbook... boy that would've been nice to have.

In the church, most of us never receive training, don't do enough to understand our full role, and nobody else knows our calling well enough to provide help.

I've always thought it would be good to have a ward calling called 'Ward Smarty-pants' or something like that... the guy that knew everything.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

johnshaw wrote:I found a reference once on end-of-year report that had a coversheet on it that referenced a stake-clerk's handbook... boy that would've been nice to have.
I've seen every stake clerk's handbook published since 1974. I found them almost as helpful as the current Handbook 1, Chapters 13 and 14.
johnshaw wrote:I've always thought it would be good to have a ward calling called 'Ward Smarty-pants' or something like that... the guy that knew everything.
In most wards, that's the fellow who just got released.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”