Interunit transfer issues with the OTHER account

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
natecottle

Interunit transfer issues with the OTHER account

Post by natecottle »

Wards in our stake have used interunit transfers to pay for a girls camp the stake paid a portion of. While the stake has expended most of those funds, there are still some that are outstanding. The issue is that our audit is upcoming before some of these expenses will be charged. We will not have a zero balance in the other account and that may be an issue in our audit. Is there any way to move money received in Other subcategory to Budget subcategory?

Also, why if we allow inter-unit transfers can they not come into the budget and not the other category? It makes me want to go back to asking each ward for a check so that I have the freedom to deposit it into the right category in our budget. I would love some help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Interunit transfer issues with the OTHER account

Post by russellhltn »

natecottle wrote:While the stake has expended most of those funds, there are still some that are outstanding. The issue is that our audit is upcoming before some of these expenses will be charged. We will not have a zero balance in the other account and that may be an issue in our audit.
Anyone who says the "Other" account has to have a zero balance before everything is settled needs a good whack across the knuckles remedial training.

Yes, you don't want to be carrying a unresolved balance for ages, but if the financial situations is "in progress" (and not perpetually "in progress") I think a mandate to be zero misses the point.

I think you'd be creating a bigger issue if you were to transfer funds from other to budget - because that smells of improper increase of the budget. It would take more work to assure that's not the case.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bastahmer

Re: Interunit transfer issues with the OTHER account

Post by bastahmer »

I have been a Stake Clerk, Ward Financial Clerk and Stake Auditor (not all at the same time, of course) and the issue with the "Other" account has never been about having a zero balance. The issue is that the funds are received and used for an authorized, allowable purpose within a reasonable amount of time. That reasonable amount of time can cross audits and even years - as long as the unit leader is aware of what it is and there is a plan to use the funds (or return them), there should be no audit issue.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”