Audio-Technica ATW2000

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
farwest

Audio-Technica ATW2000

Post by farwest »

Stake Conference is coming up and the visiting GA requested 6 wireless mikes. We have one and I talked to one of the FM employees that said he was dropping off four new ATW2000 with lapel mic's. How many mic's will one receiver unit handle? We have only one XLR connection at the pulpit. If you can run multiple mic's off one receiver why not just buy additional mic's to go with it. If that is not the case how would you setup the system?

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Audio-Technica ATW2000

Post by russellhltn »

Typically, one mic - one receiver. (Unless it's a multi-channel receiver.) And the mics will need to be on different channels.

You'll need a mixer to mix the 6 mics to that one connector. Add that to your list for FM.

And I have a feeling the lapel mics may not cut it. You'll be OK if he's trying to "stage" a role-play. But it's possible he's trying to cover the audience with hand mics.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Russell is correct -- one receiver per mic, plus one mixer to rule them all.

The worst thing about microphones, especially lapel mics, is that people don't hold them close enough to their mouths. You keep increasing the volume for a mic on the mixer until the feedback squeal kicks in. While I can't do much for the wireless mics, I always tape a note to the podium that reminds each person to speak into the microphone.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:The worst thing about microphones, especially lapel mics, is that people don't hold them close enough to their mouths. You keep increasing the volume for a mic on the mixer until the feedback squeal kicks in.
One lapel is bad enough. I can't imagine trying to run multiple at the same time. I think you'd need an automatic mic mixer (turns on a mic when there's sound and mutes them when not in use. It reduces overall gain if multiple mics are on. It has the reaction time to pull off what human's can't.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I'm sure facilities will include receivers for them. But true, managing feedback with 6 lapel mics and overhead speakers could be a challenge. You can also get a handheld mic that works with that same receiver; we got one and use it a lot more than the lapel mic. I'm interested to know what the plan is for them.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
farwest

Post by farwest »

So what is an automatic mic mixer? What brand? Also your saying each unit uses a different channel.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Those units have 10 channels; yes, each one has to be on a different one but you just have to match the mic with the receiver.

An automatic mixer is what is typically installed in the main sound system; it adjusts the volume automatically. They often only turn mics on when they sense a certain volume level, and sometimes only let one mic be on at a time.

I'm not sure if facilities will have one available, especially with 6 inputs. They aren't usually designed for portable use but rather permanent installs.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
farwest

Post by farwest »

I don't know how to hook up 5 or 6 Audio-Technica's to only one XLR connection on the rostrum.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

You can't, that's why you need a mixer. Either a 6-channel or you might be able to use a smaller one if there are other inputs on the rostrum; our buildings typically have 3 or 4. Facilities should have a regular mixer, although if you do webcasting you ought to have one of your own.

One more thing -- you have to do a careful sound check with those mics. The receiver is odd in that both the XLR and 1/4" outputs are line level. There is a variable output knob on the back and you have to very carefully adjust it so as not to overdrive the input.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
farwest

Post by farwest »

Here's the crazy thing the whole rostrum was redone and they only put in one XlR jack. The people who did it said that was what the plans called for in the remodel job. I'll check with FM and see if the have a mixer. Thanks for all the input it is appreciated.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”