New Profile Field in your User Account

The latest forum news and information
WelchTC

New Profile Field in your User Account

Post by WelchTC »

We have added a new field in your user profile. This field (at the bottom of the "Edit Your Details" section) is titled Languages Spoken. We would encourage everyone to update this field as it will help us understand what languages we have support for.

Thanks for your help!

Tom
dobrichelovek

Language Field

Post by dobrichelovek »

This is kind of exciting, knowing that we're at the point where language coverage on the tech website is 'important' to future projects. So I added my language 'Russian' and went to the member list. Noticed that it's not listed on the page, but the search allows search on this new field.

So I searchedfor Russian and it came up with 1. Mine. Let me just say that if there is an interest in Russian, I can solicit some participation from over the arctic. I am currently in touch with some key individuals in the Church that could get involved on this site, however, I would rather not solicit such participation until there is something that could be participated in that is specifically Russian focused.

Please keep this in mind should we get to the point where Russian language input is needed.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

dobrichelovek wrote:This is kind of exciting, knowing that we're at the point where language coverage on the tech website is 'important' to future projects. So I added my language 'Russian' and went to the member list. Noticed that it's not listed on the page, but the search allows search on this new field.

So I searchedfor Russian and it came up with 1. Mine. Let me just say that if there is an interest in Russian, I can solicit some participation from over the arctic. I am currently in touch with some key individuals in the Church that could get involved on this site, however, I would rather not solicit such participation until there is something that could be participated in that is specifically Russian focused.

Please keep this in mind should we get to the point where Russian language input is needed.
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback.

Tom
opee

List languages spoken with your "post" information?

Post by opee »

Is there a way to post the language spoken on the left side of each of our posts--along with the other information that is posted there? Does that make sense? I think that it is easier to people to see it there (with our posts) than to go to each profile and see what languages you speak...

Just a thought.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

opee wrote:Is there a way to post the language spoken on the left side of each of our posts--along with the other information that is posted there? Does that make sense? I think that it is easier to people to see it there (with our posts) than to go to each profile and see what languages you speak...

Just a thought.
That is a really good idea. I just checked but could not see a way to do it. Hmmmm

Tom
cboling

Post by cboling »

Tom's 80x57 avatar would look great with a white "EN" (to indicate "English") in the upper left corner. :-)
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

That is assuming that I can speak English but many of you may say that what I speak isn't English. :D

Tom
Jesse Smith-p40

Post by Jesse Smith-p40 »

tomw wrote:That is a really good idea. I just checked but could not see a way to do it. Hmmmm
Admin --> Styles & Templates --> Style Manager --> Edit Templates --> postbite

Look for something like

<if condition="$post['joindate']"><div>$vbphrase[join_date]: $post[joindate]</div></if>
<if condition="$post['field2']"><div>$vbphrase[location_perm]: $post[field2]</div></if>
<if condition="$post['age']"><div>$vbphrase[age]: $post[age]</div></if>

around line 63 in vBulletin v3.6.4, and add...

<if condition="$post['field6']"><div>Language: $post[field6]</div></if>

to those.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Jesse Smith wrote:Admin --> Styles & Templates --> Style Manager --> Edit Templates --> postbite

Look for something like

<if condition="$post['joindate']"><div>$vbphrase[join_date]: $post[joindate]</div></if>
<if condition="$post['field2']"><div>$vbphrase[location_perm]: $post[field2]</div></if>
<if condition="$post['age']"><div>$vbphrase[age]: $post[age]</div></if>

around line 63 in vBulletin v3.6.4, and add...

<if condition="$post['field6']"><div>Language: $post[field6]</div></if>

to those.
Thanks Jessie, does that break updates in the future or do I just need to reapply that patch after each update?

Tom
Jesse Smith-p40

Post by Jesse Smith-p40 »

If vBulletin has changes to that template on an upgrade, just re-applying it should do the trick. If you ever have to re-add the LDS Employee image code to the template, you would also add back this code.

Return to “Announcements & Policies”