LCR 3 and New Move In's home teaching

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
silus99

LCR 3 and New Move In's home teaching

Post by silus99 »

As we have started using LCR 3 for home teaching, I have noticed the following:

- Let's say a new family moved into the ward in June and you pull in their records in June as well.
- On LCR they show check boxes available to mark for being home taught for April, May and June.
- If you mark the April or May boxes, it changes your statistics for that month even though they were not members of your ward.

In MLS they would appear but the previous two months boxes were greyed out an not available to mark, which makes sense. LCR appears to count new move in's for at least the current month and two previous. Any suggestions on how to approach this? Does the same thing happen when a record gets moved out? Has anyone noticed if it changes you percentages for all 12 months listed on the summary and not just the current and two prior?

Thanks!
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: LCR 3 and New Move In's home teaching

Post by jonesrk »

That sounds like a bug. You should report it via Feedback in LCR
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

silus99 wrote:As we have started using LCR 3 for home teaching, I have noticed the following:

- Let's say a new family moved into the ward in June and you pull in their records in June as well.
- On LCR they show check boxes available to mark for being home taught for April, May and June.
- If you mark the April or May boxes, it changes your statistics for that month even though they were not members of your ward.

In MLS they would appear but the previous two months boxes were greyed out an not available to mark, which makes sense. LCR appears to count new move in's for at least the current month and two previous. Any suggestions on how to approach this? Does the same thing happen when a record gets moved out? Has anyone noticed if it changes you percentages for all 12 months listed on the summary and not just the current and two prior?
In LCR, home and visiting teaching data stays with the member. When a family or sister record moves to a new ward, the new ward will see the prior home and visiting teaching history, as applicable. In some situations, having the history of whether a member was visited in a prior ward may be helpful to the new ward because it indicates how much contact they may have had with their prior ward.

When a visit record is made for a household or sister, the organization (elders/high priests/Relief Society) and ward that were responsible for the member during that month are recorded along with the visit detail. That information stays with the visit record and allows the HT/VT application to determine which unit should be responsible for that month's statistics.

When a visit record is updated, the organization that updates the visit record now owns the visit record. In this case, the history entries for the previous months were associated with the old ward and quorum responsible for visiting the family. When you modified the entries, they were recorded as having been updated by your quorum, so they are now calculated as part of your statistics.

The statistic calculation becomes a little more complicated because the number of families or sisters (the denominator in the percentage calculation) is captured at the beginning of the month and isn't affected by these changes.
silus99

Post by silus99 »

Thanks for the response!

So from your response, this is my understanding:

- The home teaching record travels with the member, and we will be able to see their past visits by their former unit.
- Left untouched, those visits in prior months do not affect the statistics of my unit, and the visit record remains as part of their old units calculations
- Once I touch a prior month (when they were not in my unit) by either marking them as visited or unmarking them, this visit record is now part of my unit and affects our statistics

If this is correct, then I just have a couple of questions to not screw the whole thing up:
1. When I mark a prior month, do I now own the visit record for just that month or does it trigger me to own all of their prior visit records?
2. Do I only own the visit record only if the change I make is different than what the previous unit had? For example, I noted my home teaching statistics, marked a new family as being home taught prior to when their records arrived and the statistics went up. At this point I am assuming I have their visit record in my unit for that month. When I uncheck it, my statistics return to what I had before. If I still owned that visit record the statistics should have been different (less than what I had originall by adding a family not visited) so I am assuming I no longer own that visit record and it went back to what it was before.
3. So as members move in and out, it should not affect my units statistics as long as I do not make changes in their home teaching visits for months prior to their records arriving, correct?

Thank you so much for your help!
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

silus99 wrote:- The home teaching record travels with the member, and we will be able to see their past visits by their former unit.
- Left untouched, those visits in prior months do not affect the statistics of my unit, and the visit record remains as part of their old units calculations
- Once I touch a prior month (when they were not in my unit) by either marking them as visited or unmarking them, this visit record is now part of my unit and affects our statistics
Correct.
silus99 wrote:1. When I mark a prior month, do I now own the visit record for just that month or does it trigger me to own all of their prior visit records?
Just that month.
silus99 wrote:2. Do I only own the visit record only if the change I make is different than what the previous unit had? For example, I noted my home teaching statistics, marked a new family as being home taught prior to when their records arrived and the statistics went up. At this point I am assuming I have their visit record in my unit for that month. When I uncheck it, my statistics return to what I had before. If I still owned that visit record the statistics should have been different (less than what I had originall by adding a family not visited) so I am assuming I no longer own that visit record and it went back to what it was before.
Once you touch it, the record is yours. You break it, you bought it. :)

Your statistics don't change when you go from not visited to visited and back to not visited because we don't modify the number of families used as the denominator in the percentage calculation when the record is updated. There are two numbers involved here: how many families were visited by your quorum during the month (numerator) and how many families were assigned to your family during the month (denominator).
silus99 wrote:3. So as members move in and out, it should not affect my units statistics as long as I do not make changes in their home teaching visits for months prior to their records arriving, correct?
Correct.
silus99

Post by silus99 »

Awesome! That is clear and I appreciate your help!

Thanks again!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

So a ward can update the HT/VT record before the family was in the ward? I can see some latitude on the month they moved since they could have been HT/VT by either the old or new ward. But to be able to edit months before the move sounds like a invite to trouble to me.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Being able to see a 12 month visit history from a previous ward for a newly moved in member can be a valuable tool in some situations....
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

kisaac wrote:Being able to see a 12 month visit history from a previous ward for a newly moved in member can be a valuable tool in some situations....
Yes it will be. The ability to mess up that history is not so valuable, though. I've submitted feedback as such.
silus99

Post by silus99 »

Yes, I agree it can be valuable. You could also mess with another units stats pretty easily as well :D

Also, there are rare circumstances where a family comes into a ward, calls for help with the move in and you don't get their records until the next month so you would like to count the month prior to that.

Other than that I think the mantra for clerks and secretaries has to be "Don't touch the prior months".

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”