LCR won't let me add out-of-unit member to calling

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
Machtyn

LCR won't let me add out-of-unit member to calling

Post by Machtyn »

Our branch has just had a Stake Missionary assigned and called as the new Branch Clerk. However, when I attempted to assign him, it gave me the message that he was not qualified for the position. After some time, the record was transferred into the MLS program and I think I found out why - it did not have his baptismal and Priesthood ordination records. (A major failing that this information is not transferred when a person is moved between units.)

Is there a way in the LCR, where I now have to enter organizational changes, to add the out-of-unit member to the calling? (In MLS, I did add his Priesthood ordination, but this seems counter-intuitive or "wrong".)
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: LCR won't let me add out-of-unit member to calling

Post by jonesrk »

You add the calling in LCR the same way you would for a member of your unit, except you have to use their MRN. That will prompt you to Assign to Out-of-Unit Member. Since LCR has access to that persons real membership record you won't have to record any additional information about priesthood or other info.
mevans

Post by mevans »

jonesrk wrote:You add the calling in LCR the same way you would for a member of your unit, except you have to use their MRN. That will prompt you to Assign to Out-of-Unit Member. Since LCR has access to that persons real membership record you won't have to record any additional information about priesthood or other info.
With the new feature in LCR for an out-of-unit member, wouldn't you just add him as that and then the calling should work?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

mevans wrote:
jonesrk wrote:You add the calling in LCR the same way you would for a member of your unit, except you have to use their MRN. That will prompt you to Assign to Out-of-Unit Member. Since LCR has access to that persons real membership record you won't have to record any additional information about priesthood or other info.
With the new feature in LCR for an out-of-unit member, wouldn't you just add him as that and then the calling should work?
That would likely work as well, but I think that when you add them to the calling it adds them as an out of unit member as well. I haven't actually gone all the way through the steps to know for sure.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm curious about the differences between those options – I don't know much about the creating an out-of-unit member and then assigning him to a calling option, as that's only available on the ward level. Going to the callings list and adding an out-of-unit leader to their calling there (with their membership record number and name) is available on both the ward and stake level – on the back end, is it exactly the same? Is there a difference between "out-of-unit leader" and "out-of-unit member assigned to a leadership position"?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:I'm curious about the differences between those options –
One of the main differences I see is that all you need for the calling is the name and MRN. LCR pulls everything it needs from the membership record and the task is complete.

When you first entered someone as an out-of-unit member in MLS, you had to have much more information, enough to qualify them for the position, i.e., baptism, priesthood ordination, marriage information, nearly the entire IOS. Then you put them in the calling.

It seems so much simpler using LCR.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:I'm curious about the differences between those options –
One of the main differences I see is that all you need for the calling is the name and MRN. LCR pulls everything it needs from the membership record and the task is complete.

When you first entered someone as an out-of-unit member in MLS, you had to have much more information, enough to qualify them for the position, i.e., baptism, priesthood ordination, marriage information, nearly the entire IOS. Then you put them in the calling.

It seems so much simpler using LCR.
He's asking about creating an out of unit member via LCR.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jonesrk wrote:He's asking about creating an out of unit member via LCR.
Yes, but I think he was doing it so the OOU member could be put into a calling.

If an OOU member is put directly into a calling via LCR using the MRN number, does LCR also create the OOU member for you? If so, it seems as if one step is better than two.
bretpetersen1

Post by bretpetersen1 »

We are having a similar problem. In a YSA branch we are not able to add an out of unit member to be the Exec. Secretary. When trying to edit the calling on LCR, the out of unit people in the branch don't show up as possible candidates. We added the out of unit members using MLS. Could that be the problem?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

bretpetersen1 wrote:We added the out of unit members using MLS. Could that be the problem?
Yes. The out-of-unit member handling in MLS is not tied to the out-of-unit member support in LCR 3.0.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”