Custom firewall rule?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
MCardoza

Custom firewall rule?

Post by MCardoza »

What are the chances of being able to request a custom firewall rule for the meeting Houses in my stake?

The situation is that our stake is really fond of the convenience of using apple tv to present content over AirPlay. As stake clerk with a tech career, I think the devices are pretty handy but the wildly inappropriate feed it pulls from the ITunes Store isn't really something I want showing up in Sunday School or during Seminary or something.

If I tracked down the domain that the feed is being pulled from what are the chances that I could get that url blocked? I'm guessing not real likely due to centralized configs but figured I'd see what you all thought.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Custom firewall rule?

Post by russellhltn »

Custom? Zilch. But you might be able to get it added to the filter. Contact LDS Global Services.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

MCardoza wrote:What are the chances of being able to request a custom firewall rule for the meeting Houses in my stake?
Well, I suppose you could run a really long Ethernet cable from the nearest FHC.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:
MCardoza wrote:What are the chances of being able to request a custom firewall rule for the meeting Houses in my stake?
Well, I suppose you could run a really long Ethernet cable from the nearest FHC.
He wants things blocked, not opened.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

One of the great things on Apple TV is how much you can turn off and customize.
This is how I set them up in my Stake:

On Apple TV go to settings / AirPlay / Comference Room Display = On

This will prevent anything from showing up other than a message on how to AirPlay. You have to press Menu on Remote to get out of Conference Room Display.

Next, Menu / Main Screen / Turn on restrictions. Set a passcode (I used last 4 digits of unit ID).
Hide anything you don't want members to use. (I hid just about everything).

Finally, under Settings / General / Restrictions, go down to Purchase & Rental and turn it to Hide.
This is actually the setting you are looking for based on original question. :)
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You can also hide Apple TV channels by following these instructions:
http://www.macrumors.com/how-to/customi ... -channels/
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

My bishopric wants to block gaming sites that some of our young men visit during our block of meetings, such as WOW. As a ward clerk, may I call the GSC and request a change to our firewall filter?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:As a ward clerk, may I call the GSC and request a change to our firewall filter?
You can try, but I seriously doubt that they'll make any custom changes for your building. They'd probably be more interested if you indicated that it's causing problems for other users of the network.

Keep in mind that if the youth are using their own data plan, changing firewall rules will do nothing.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”