Full Time Missionaries - Mismatch

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
RichardGamble

Full Time Missionaries - Mismatch

Post by RichardGamble »

When clicking on "Full Time Missionaries" under organizations, I receive a list of missionaries who have "left" from our ward -- not missionaries "currently serving" from our ward.

We have one Elder on the list whose records are no longer in our ward (he was set apart while in our ward).
We have one Elder NOT on the list whose records are in the ward (he was set apart while in another ward).

It seems like, at a minimum, Full Time Missionaries whose records are in our ward should be displayed on the list of Full Time Missionaries in our ward.
mevans

Re: Full Time Missionaries - Mismatch

Post by mevans »

Your expectations seem reasonable. We don't have anyone in either of those situations right now, so I'm unable to verify. Try submitting it as a bug on the Feedback link on LCR.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Missionaries technically have two home wards: the ward that's "sponsoring" them (with a budget account set up, that does not transfer automatically with the records), and the ward their records are in. Possibly the LDS Tools list is reflecting the sponsoring ward instead of the membership records ward? The sponsoring ward can be changed, I think, by the bishops.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:Missionaries technically have two home wards: the ward that's "sponsoring" them (with a budget account set up, that does not transfer automatically with the records), and the ward their records are in.
Just wondering - does either one get reported in the quarterly report?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Not sure – my (YSA student) stake always transfers responsibility for missionaries to the home wards when they leave, so we never have missionaries serving from our stake.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:Not sure – my (YSA student) stake always transfers responsibility for missionaries to the home wards when they leave, so we never have missionaries serving from our stake.
What, no converts? <grin> Back in my YSA days, we'd have a few converts that would go. Since the parents were non-members, there was no "home" ward. If the family didn't support them, we got help from the stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

russellhltn wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:Not sure – my (YSA student) stake always transfers responsibility for missionaries to the home wards when they leave, so we never have missionaries serving from our stake.
What, no converts? <grin> Back in my YSA days, we'd have a few converts that would go. Since the parents were non-members, there was no "home" ward. If the family didn't support them, we got help from the stake.
True, every once in a while that happens.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:Missionaries technically have two home wards: the ward that's "sponsoring" them (with a budget account set up, that does not transfer automatically with the records), and the ward their records are in.
Just wondering - does either one get reported in the quarterly report?
The ward with the actual membership record gets the missionary included in the quarterly report.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

RichardGamble wrote:It seems like, at a minimum, Full Time Missionaries whose records are in our ward should be displayed on the list of Full Time Missionaries in our ward.
It may be as others suggest, and you can read the policy on a Change in the missionary’s home ward relating to mission finances and the funding ward. It's likely the display for your ward can be corrected by a clerk (maybe your stake clerk) calling the missionary department, even if another ward is the funding ward.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RichardGamble wrote:It seems like, at a minimum, Full Time Missionaries whose records are in our ward should be displayed on the list of Full Time Missionaries in our ward.
There are four units identified with a missionary. They are the Home Unit, Submitting Unit, Funding Unit, and Membership Unit. The Home Unit is where the missionary's parents records are assigned. The Submitting Unit is the unit the missionary's record was in when the application was submitted. The Funding Unit is the unit accepting financial responsibility for the missionary. And the Membership Unit is the unit in which the missionary's record is currently assigned.

The Membership Unit is the unit in which the missionary's name should appear in the "Full Time Missionaries" list.

Without knowing what is on record for each missionary for each unit type described in the OP I have no idea if there is a bug in the program or not.

The ward clerk or bishop can check the Missionary Online Recommendation System to see what missionaries are associated with their unit and what other units are associated with those missionaries.

Once the Membership unit for each of the OP missionaries is known then we can tell if there is a problem or not.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”