.bak file missing

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
eomar_1

.bak file missing

Post by eomar_1 »

Hi we had a PC update in our ward, but, I wasn't notified to make the .bak file backup and nobody made it, I installed MLS again and registered the ward and then MLS asked me for the .bak file to load the whole membership and I suppose other data.
I want to know if there's any way to get all the data back through Internet instead of the .bak file
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: .bak file missing

Post by russellhltn »

Contact local unit support on Monday.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

eomar_1 wrote: I want to know if there's any way to get all the data back through Internet instead of the .bak file
russellhltn wrote:Contact local unit support on Monday.
Unfortunately, that won't help the finance clerks tomorrow!

When was your last backup to a removable (thumb) drive?
Did your unit move to the new LCR 3.0 recently (You will know if you can update callings and HT/VT via LDS.org.)
Again, the change to the new LCR 3.0 means far more data is kept at CHQ, and you may be lucky if you were changed over before this happened....
This message below pre-dated LCR 3.0.
From the the thread How many backups to keep?
scgallafent wrote:A backup is captured at headquarters on a monthly basis. The actual day of the month varies. I looked the last two backup dates for three wards in my stake: March 29 and April 26, March 8 and April 7, March 22 and April 22.

A unit can install MLS with an empty database and most data will be restored from headquarters. The two main items that are not stored at headquarters (except in the monthly backup) are home and visiting teaching data and budget allotments inside the unit (amounts allotted to different organizations). Home and visiting teaching data won't be an issue much longer.
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kisaac wrote:Unfortunately, that won't help the finance clerks tomorrow!
Unless the OP can get his hands on the original computer, odds are the finance clerks are just out of luck.

Restoring a backup file will automatically shutdown the finance section until a send/receive is done. But chances are, that will run into a need to reset the security - and that's not going to happen until Monday.

There are three options that will get things going by Sunday: Either put the original computer back in service and do a coordinated change-over during the week, or copy the MLS data files directly from the old computer to the new one. The last option is the only option that doesn't require getting the original computer: restore the file unto another ward/stake computer.

But what's probably going to happen: Donations and Computer Failure.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

eomar_1 wrote:I want to know if there's any way to get all the data back through Internet instead of the .bak file
It has been a while since I did this, but when you first started MLS, you had three (I think) options. Instead of using the backup file, select the option to get the download from Church headquarters.

As others have mentioned, if you need a security reset, you will not be able to get that until Monday.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote:
eomar_1 wrote:I want to know if there's any way to get all the data back through Internet instead of the .bak file
It has been a while since I did this, but when you first started MLS, you had three (I think) options. Instead of using the backup file, select the option to get the download from Church headquarters.

As others have mentioned, if you need a security reset, you will not be able to get that until Monday.
If you select to download from Church headquarters it will require a security reset (except for new units), so that won't help much.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”