Stake Family History Center Director

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
drepouille

Stake Family History Center Director

Post by drepouille »

LCR only allows me to record one Stake Family History Center Director. I have four FHCs in my stake, so I have four Family History Center Directors.

The chart of callings in Handbook 2 states all FHC directors are to be called by the stake. No longer are wards and branches permitted to call, sustain, and set apart FHC directors. So why am I limited to only one Stake Family History Center Director calling in LCR?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Stake Family History Center Director

Post by russellhltn »

Ward clerks are also called by the stake, but that doesn't make them stake clerks.

You might want to look at the CDOL and see how your FHCs are organized. Do you have more than one as a child organization of the stake? (And not a child of a Ward?)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The stake FHC is a child of the stake, and the three "ward" FHCs are children of their respective wards. However, there is no such calling as "Ward Family History Director" so the three ward clerks have to guess which family history calling to use for their FHC directors. Most of them choose "Family History Leader", "Family History Consultant", or create a custom calling for their ward FHC directors.

It is perhaps irrelevant, since it is the CDOL that gives FHC directors their special privileges, and not LCR standard callings.

Thanks for having me check CDOL. It shows that the stake "Pays Bills for" one of the ward FHCs. I asked LUS to change that relationship, to make that ward FHC the same as the other ward FHCs. Again, this is perhaps irrelevant, since our FHCs really don't have any bills to pay any more. Their parent units supply paper, toner, etc.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Actually, I'm wondering how that would work. Since FHCs are a unit, then wouldn't that be a calling in the unit rather than a stake calling? As such as "Stake Family History Center Director" would make as much sense as a "Stake Bishop".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I agree that "Stake Family History Center Director" is a misnomer. But that is the name of the only standard calling that exists for FHC directors.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Trying to find more information isn't easy. Handbook 2 says "see the Administrative Guide for Family History". But I can't find it. The closest I come is the Operations guide, but it's written more for the Director than for the Stake leaders.

I'm halfway wondering if "Stake FHC Director" isn't the "director over all FHCs in the stake". Directors of individual FHCs are recorded in their own units, which I think is controlled by the Family History Department.

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

For the years my wife was the "Stake FHC Director" (the director of the FHC located in the stake center), everyone somehow expected her to be "over" the other three FHC directors, and responsible for their training. However, there is no such hierarchy described in any manual. Rather, the stake presidency and the high councilor assigned to Family History and Temple Work are responsible to teach, to guide, and to council with the FHC directors in the stake.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

I think that part of the problem comes from the MLS way of doing things. The callings really belong on the FHC, but MLS had no way to manage those callings. In MLS you didn't want the person to show up on the member without callings list, so you put them in somewhere. That really leads to duplicate callings.

What I think would be best to to move it to the model we have tried out in LCR with some of the recreational properties, where the stake that is assigned to be the agent stake can actually manage the callings on the rec property. The project manager for LCR is out until Monday, but I'm going to talk to him about extending that functionality to cover FHCs.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jonesrk wrote:What I think would be best to to move it to the model we have tried out in LCR with some of the recreational properties, where the stake that is assigned to be the agent stake can actually manage the callings on the rec property.
It certainly sounds like the right way to go.

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

drepouille wrote:LCR only allows me to record one Stake Family History Center Director. I have four FHCs in my stake, so I have four Family History Center Directors.

The chart of callings in Handbook 2 states all FHC directors are to be called by the stake. No longer are wards and branches permitted to call, sustain, and set apart FHC directors. So why am I limited to only one Stake Family History Center Director calling in LCR?
I just received this e-mail in response to my call to the GSC:
Unfortunately there isn't a solution to the problem you are facing with the four family history centers. At this time, only one individual can hold the Director position and all others will remain as Assistants. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”