Chat 150 compatibility

Discussions about the desktop video conferencing solution provided by the Church

Moderators: MarchantRR, rodhyde

SmithonVI

Chat 150 compatibility

Post by SmithonVI »

Our stake has been using a laptop and Chat 150 device (for video conferencing) for several years, without any problems. We recently purchased a new laptop - a Lenovo Y50-70, i7 processor, 16 GB Ram, Nvida video card with 4 GB onboard, Win 8.1. The Chat 150 device now emits a squealing, static noise once the Vidyo desktop connects to a remote user. It's silent until a connection is made.

I have ensured that the 150 is selected as default device in both the Vidyo window and the sound panel in the computer. I've tried disabling the the onboard speakers and microphone on the computer. I've ensured that the 150 is plugged into a USB 2 port, not a USB 3 port. Pushing the mute button on the 150 doesn't stop the noise but clicking the mute on the computer's volume control does - of course then the 150 acts as a microphone only. I called the Global Service Desk and ClearOne (the manufacturer) and Lenovo, without any resolution.

I'm just about ready to give up and try some other device to replace the Chat 150, but thought I would try this forum in case there is some genius lurking out there just ready to solve my problem.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Chat 150 compatibility

Post by russellhltn »

Where is the squealing coming from? The Chat 150 itself or the computer speakers? Or both?

It sounds to me like you have a feedback loop going on - either the computer's speakers or microphone is one when it shouldn't be. You might try disabling the computer microphone in the BIOS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
SmithonVI

Post by SmithonVI »

Hi russellhltn. The noise is coming from the Chat 150. I've tried disabling the computer speakers and mike in the sound panel (in control panel) but haven't tried through the BIOS.

Thanks for the idea.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might also try sticking a plug into the laptop's mic in jack. And when the squeel happens, you might try different things to see if you can verify if the mic is on or not (cover it, tap near it, etc to see if it provokes a reaction from the system.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
SmithonVI

Post by SmithonVI »

Hmmm, didn't think of that. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.
SmithonVI

Post by SmithonVI »

Well, good suggestions but no luck. I continue on my search for a solution to this elusive problem.

Don't you just hate it when everyone says, "Hmmm, never heard of that problem before." :confused:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What happens if the other client is on a headset with the volume turned down? The feedback may be looping though both ends of the link. (Sound picked up in Room A is sent to Room B. Room B's mic picks up the sound and sends it back to Room A.) Using a headset on the far end should break the loop.

SmithonVI

Post by SmithonVI »

Well. I set up one laptop with a Chat 50 connected to it. In another room I set up the new laptop with a Chat 150 connected. This is the typical configuration we have been using. As soon as the the video conference initiated, the squeal/static started up. The manufacturer seems to be as baffled as I am. I think I'll wait until Win 10 comes out and see if it plays any nicer.

Thanks for your suggestions and interest.

Return to “Personal Video Conferencing”