LDS meetinghouse facebook favor needed

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
wrigjef

LDS meetinghouse facebook favor needed

Post by wrigjef »

Could I ask that with location services turned on, that people check in on Facebook at their LDS meetinghouse (it does not even have to be yours as long as it's really LDS). Check in is possible by searching for "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints"
Tag me Jeff Wright in the post so I can see it.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: LDS meetinghouse facebook favor needed

Post by sbradshaw »

I can do that on Sunday, though my church building is also a BYU building so I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Every little bit helps. It's best with more participation.
This all started because I have non-member friends who to take great pride in checking in from their Church building on facebook each week. Then talking about the fact that they were having a great experience. So I started doing what we have been instructed to do by sharing more about us on social media.
I have a habit of checking in at the church building each time I'm there, Sundays for reqular meetings or any other time. I always include in my post something about why I'm there or what I'm learning, a gospel truth or even just a scouting activity. I've noticed that many buildings listed as facebook check-in locations don't have pictures displayed. I've found that I can add pictures to any building as long as I can get to its checkin posting. I also found that many that do have pictures have posted a picture of the building and often the picture does not appear as approved so I've been adding a picture of Christ from the Church website and it gets approved almost immediately. Again the more people that check in and tag me so I can see it, the more LDS buildings I can post pictures to. My hope is that if sites look correct with pictures of Christ, more members will check in and post something that may share valuable information with their friends.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wrigjef wrote:so I've been adding a picture of Christ from the Church website
There might be copyright issues with that. I'd think it would be better to post a photo of the building so it can be recognized. I wonder what the hang-up is in getting them approved?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Note that there is a difference here. Ward websites on LDS.org have distinct names (the unit) and a picture of the building is most appropriate (approved by a local leader or website adiministrator). With Facebook locations, unless they have been altered which causes other (Facebook) approval problems, all are titled "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints". My understanding is that while certain, independantly produced, pictures of Christ come with copyright issues, there are also approved ones of lds.org that are usable in any respectable circumstance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Aside from the approval issues, what is the advantage of using a picture of Christ over a picture of the building for a location?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Often a picture of a building does not get approved by Facebook since unless the sign is visable, there is no association with the Church.

I personally feel that despite the name of the Church, that too few members of the public don't associate Christ with the Church and since these places/pictures are public, it does not hurt to support the concept. Many other church FB locations simply have a picture of a cross, we know that's not appropriate for us. Remember FB is approving these pictures very quickly. A picture of a building may not get a second glance but a recognizable picture of Christ will.

For the buildings I have been able to update near me, mainly in the DC area, I have been using the same picture, Christ in a white robe appearing in a cloud with arms stretched out.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

If I can prompt other members to search for LDS buildings, check in, and tag me so I have access, my plan is to post the same picture.

This is simply a personal project that I'm willing to take on because I think it may do some good. All I'm asking for is some assistance because my proximity only lets me see a few buildings within a few miles of my location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Does Facebook automatically add Church locations based on a public directory of some sort?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

I don't know for certain but my impression is that the church releases a location/address list to FB and they add them or else the church adds the locations as they build new buildings but leave them all named the same with no pictures.

Return to “General Discussions”