Note won't diplay and D&C section 46 won't let me add notes

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
gppierce

Note won't diplay and D&C section 46 won't let me add notes

Post by gppierce »

I have a problem with my notes not showing up. As you can see in the attached screen shot I get a list on the left nav but when I select the Unassigned Items section nothing displays in the content section. I get no errors I get nothing. So my notes that are added to the Unassigned Items section I can not see.

Also I believe is the same problem when I try to add a note to section 46 on the lds website I get notes are not available at this time but when I go to section 45 o5 47 I have the ability to add notes.

I have tried different browsers and different computers and nothing seems to help. I have also removed history ad cache but nothing seems to help.

I have also tried to delete the notes using the delete functionality in the notes section but I got down to my 3 problem children (notes) and then the notes just vanish and I can't delete anymore

This is a database issue and I need my notes account reset manually (entries removed from the notes database). I don't care if I have any notes lost I can't see them any way. Who can I contact than can help me with this?

Jerry Pierce
Attachments
notes.jpg
Screen shot of notes section
(13.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet
johnshaw

Re: Note won't diplay and D&C section 46 won't let me add no

Post by johnshaw »

Access the scriptures again in study mode... at the bottom of the page is a 'feedback' link, use that link to report the issue to the Church Dev teams. They do not come to this forum, so the best way to report a bug like this is through the feedback link.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
gppierce

Post by gppierce »

Thank you I tried that first and they said come here. Might you have a contact I can talk to at the Church Dev department?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The issue you have discovered is a problem with Most of the online curriculum. Lesson Manuals, Scriptures, Teachings of the Prophets, General Conference addresses. This is a LARGE issue and is known. The Dev team knows very well the issue you are experiencing. I even provided feedback a couple years ago and was told there would need to be an extremely large change to every piece of content to fix.

The best thing to do is provide the feedback as suggested. You were obviously speaking to a volunteer service missionary that likely didn't understand what you meant and thought you were just not doing something correctly. This is a good place for user-to-user support, but it is not a place to affect change in the applications.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
gppierce

Post by gppierce »

I have and they keep sending me to you guys.

And in the time being I am unable to use these tools. I just need some one to clear out my notes/journal data entri3es int he database and this will free me to use these tools again.

Is there anyone that can help me
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

Jerry,

I've seen and heard of Notes not showing, but not of them staying not shown after clearing the cache (and possibly cookies) (should be done while only an empty tab is open, followed by closing all browser instances and restarting the browser). (Trying again, if you haven't, probably wouldn't hurt anything.)

I only had the problem once, and after clicking on either All Items or Unassigned Items (I forget which) and waiting several seconds, items started showing up again... It was weird. So you could also just try clicking around a bit to see if something trips...

My only other idea is that if you have access to the Gospel Library app (iOS, Android, Windows, or whatever), then you could delete the notes in the Gospel Library, sync to LDS.org and that should get rid of them. If you don't have the Gospel Library app or a device on which it will run (phone, tablet), you can try one of the following:

* Arc Welder - a plugin for Chrome that lets you run Android apps on a regular computer. Reported here: https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... er#p138533

I have no experience with this, or Chrome, so I can't help with details, but it seems like it should be simple enough.

* Another Android emulator (or iPad emulator if you use an Apple computer). I know of a good Android emulator for PC on which you can install the GL app. Post back if you're interested and I'll provide instructions.

* If you're not game for either of those, but are willing to let a complete stranger log in to your account and attempt to delete all your highlights / notes, post back here or send me a PM. (Don't post your login here, just your willingness.)

FWIW: I can highlight verses in D&C 46, so it's not the section content that's the problem. (The heading cannot be highlighted, but that's true of all headings, lists, and the like - if you're trying to highlight the heading, let us know; but verses should work.)

Church tech support do not necessarily hang out here. There was a post in the past day or so about tech support getting a sudden flood of emails due to a glitch, so they might be slow for quite a while (mentioned in case you decide to contact them again, perhaps with a little different text so it's clear you're experiencing a technical problem that only a church employee could fix).

Liz
gppierce

Post by gppierce »

I am using the windows app for the gospel library and I see no notes on that one.

I have tried to delete the cache and history and I have used most of the different browsers and on different machines to the same end I have added new notes and put them in different categories and I can see them but when I go to the Unassigned Items category that has my problem notes in them I can's see anything.

I like your idea to use an android emulator to see if that works and I have no problem with you logging onto my account and see if you can fix it but this is a database issue and really all I need is all of my notes deleted and this should fix it

But in the end I welcome any of your help and ideas
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

Jerry,

I understand your frustration. Unfortunately, no one here has the ability to get directly the the database used by LDS.org Notes, so let's see if we can do something else to work around it...

Deleting cache and history would only apply to LDS.org, not the Gospel Library app. Also, I don't think deleting the history would matter, but deleting cookies might - so if you haven't deleted cookies, please try.

It's unclear to me from your first sentence whether you're using both the LDS.org Notes feature _and_ the Gospel Library app for Windows 8.1 (which are NOT the same thing), or just Notes on LDS.org (which is what was in your screen capture). Could you please clarify whether you're using both, and if you are (or could be) using both, is Gospel Library set up to sync with your LDS.org account? And if so, have you forced a sync, and tried to manage the annotations in the Gospel Library rather than on LDS.org, then let that sync?

If you've already got the Gospel Library and it's having the same problems as the Notes on LDS.org, I don't think the emulator would do any good (since you would have already done what I was proposing we try in the emulator). However, in my experience, the Gospel Library developers are very good at helping, and so you could use the in-app feedback and see if they're better able to help you than the website help were. (Expect a few days before you get a reply though.)

If you have NOT already tried the Gospel Library app, we have the following options:

a) You try the Gospel Library app. If this is what you want and you need more help than what's already been posted, please let us know specifically what help you need. (I would recommend trying the Chrome plugin first.)

b) Someone else does this on your behalf (in which case, the conversation needs to go private). If you'd like me to try this, use the little "PM" button under my photo and we can email or talk on the phone and try this out. I'd be happy to give it a shot and see if there's anything I can do.

FWIW,

Liz
BreinholtKL

Post by BreinholtKL »

Hi Jerry,

I work on the web scriptures dev team. I just got word of you problem.

Please go to the Study Notebook (Notes) and click on the Unassigned Items. Then click on the triangle on the right, it will pop up a option dialog ... click download.
Click on triangle for options menu.
Click on triangle for options menu.
download option.PNG (99.34 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
When you click download it will pop up a larger download dialog.
studynotes-download.PNG
Check all the boxes to the left and Select the "Backup (XML) option.
(186.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Click on all the check boxes to the right and select "Backup (XML)" then click download to download your notes. (I've attached couple a pictures so you can better see what I am talking about.)

If you could reply and attach the XML file I can take a look and hopefully figure out what is going on.

-Keith B.
gppierce

Post by gppierce »

Liz,

I was trying to sink the Gospel library app in windows 8.1 when I noticed the problem, I at that time stopped syncing from the Gospel Library. I did try chrome, IE8 and Firefox to try to correct the problem with no luck. I did try to delete the cache and cookies and I used the browsers on different machines also.

The issue is not with the Gospel Library app. The problem is with the notes in the LDS.org, which is why I gave the screen shot from the notes. I only brought up the Gospel Library app because I thought you suggested that I try it for accessing my notes fron the App (sorry for the confusion).

I can add notes from the Gospel Library and LDS.org. If I assign the noted into other categories other than Unassigned Items I can see them but if they go into Unassigned items (which they do when I add note from the Gospel Library) then I can't see then in the notes page. - I hope this helps

Keith B

Here is the backup xml file. I did what you asked and I got a zero byte xml file. I will attache it anyway.

I have also created a screen shot from the firebug console. I don't know if it will help but I will attach it anyway.

I believe that removing the database entries for my notes/journal would fix my problem

thank you for all of your help

Jerry
Attachments
firebub-console.jpg
(77.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”