Media in GLW

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

TrailRider

Media in GLW

Post by TrailRider »

I'm a big fan of GLW. I see its greatest benefit being the ability to use it to access church material offline. When I'm online, I sometimes prefer lds.org.

Since I see GLW primarily as an offline tool, I would love to see it incorporate all of the media found on lds.org/media-library, especially all video and images for downloading and off-line viewing. Although its not that difficult to download from the website, it might be nice to just download them as-needed before hand via GLW for use when teaching. The internet in our building on Sundays is sketchy and we've been told to avoid it if possible.

Also, it would be nice for the lesson manual to have a hyperlink directly to the image it recommends showing to the class (especially when teaching from a primary manual).

Just some ideas. I use GLW almost every day and will continue to do so. Thanks to all those who spend time improving it.
ToManyLetters

Re: Media in GLW

Post by ToManyLetters »

Gospel Library is not designed specifically for offline use, as you've suggested. Gospel Library is designed as a mobile application so that devices like phones and tablets can have access to Gospel Content on the go. Typically, these devices have mobile data connections that allow apps like Gospel Library to function wherever they are, however, we know and understand that it is not always possible or even preferable to be connected at all times. We DO have plans to make it possible to maintain more than just the text of content as available offline in the future, but those features have taken a backseat to more pressing issues, like the new version of the app for Windows Phone (this is, after all, a universal app), the Annotations Pane, Notebooks, Continuous Audio Playback, Tags, Tabs, and Links--in addition to bugs and user-experience issues like crashing on startup, losing downloaded books, and the now infamous HRESULT issue caused by users having corrupt user profiles on Windows. We are working as fast as we can on updates for the application, but updates take time.
Also, it would be nice for the lesson manual to have a hyperlink directly to the image it recommends showing to the class (especially when teaching from a primary manual).
We don't handle content itself. There is a separate content team in charge of this. We have no power over this whatsoever.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

There is a new mobile app being developed that will take care of the needs we're talking about in this thread. Currently only available on ios but it's called Gospel Media. You can join the project and download the beta here: http://tech.lds.org/dl/ios/org.lds.Gospel-Media/
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

Gospel Media is nice, but does not address the needs of a Windows user, nor does it store content's images offline, as the original poster was asking.

Again, these features are coming in Gospel Library for Windows. We just need more time.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”