Distributing home teaching assignments

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Distributing home teaching assignments

Post by sbradshaw »

My roommate is the elders quorum president and is finalizing home teaching assignments for the new semester, after several members have moved in and out. I mentioned to him a directive I thought was in the handbook but I can't find it anywhere!

It was my understanding that prospective home teachers should be specifically "invited" to accept home teaching assignments, instead of just having their assignments handed to them. My thought was that this could be face-to-face, by phone, by email, or anything else, but basically the member receiving an assignment needs the opportunity to either accept or decline the assignment from a presidency member.

Obviously this pattern makes sense and is good advice, but I thought it was in the handbook or official training somewhere. Any leads?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Distributing home teaching assignments

Post by russellhltn »

I don't remember anything like that. But Handbook 2 does say 7.4.2: "They obtain the bishop’s approval for each companionship and each home teaching assignment."
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:It was my understanding that prospective home teachers should be specifically "invited" to accept home teaching assignments, instead of just having their assignments handed to them. My thought was that this could be face-to-face, by phone, by email, or anything else, but basically the member receiving an assignment needs the opportunity to either accept or decline the assignment from a presidency member.
While a priesthood holder is not given the opportunity to accept or decline an assignment, he always has agency to complete an assignment or not, and a leader should be sensitive in making assignments.

That said, the Chart of Callings section in Handbook 2 says that home teaching is a priesthood responsibility and these brethren are assigned as home teachers by quorum and group leaders, under the direction of the bishop.

I personally believe that face-to-face works best. And I also know from personal experience that mind reading does not work at all. I was once asked if I had been home teaching a certain family for the past several months. I said I was not aware that I was even assigned as their home teacher.

It appears they actually thought I would go look in MLS for my home teaching assignments from time to time since I had access because of my calling. Sorry. It didn't work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:It was my understanding that prospective home teachers should be specifically "invited" to accept home teaching assignments, instead of just having their assignments handed to them.
There's always the possibility that there's something that could be awkward with the assignment. Perhaps they don't get along or there's a business relationship that could make it uncomfortable. So I'd think it would be wise to make sure they're OK with it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”