Unable to wipe drive

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
michaelfish

Unable to wipe drive

Post by michaelfish »

I'm a STS and I'm trying to wipe several old clerk XP machines using the recommended church instructions, but after clicking the final procsess to start, I get the message
This routine can only run for disks supporting the security mode feature set.
The instructions for Parted Magic I followed are here.

Any suggestions?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Unable to wipe drive

Post by russellhltn »

Were you trying to use "secure" or "enhanced"? Only some drives can use enhanced.

You might try the instructions found on Parted Magic site.

Failing that, use DBAN
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Thank you for your suggestions.

The instructions found on the Parted Magic site offered no solutions.

From the DBAN .iso, I created a USB only to find the PC's were too old to boot from a USB so I then burned a CD from .iso, which is working.

Thanks again.
slmsz20

Post by slmsz20 »

If you are comfortable handling PC parts, you can use an external drive adapter and erase it on another computer. I've found the built-in solution on any windows computer (cipher) or disk utility on a mac does as good a job as any at secure deleting a drive (single pass or multi-pass). The Windows solution requires you to format the drive first.

Return to “Clerk Computers”