Jumping to highlighted text

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
moonman239

Jumping to highlighted text

Post by moonman239 »

I'd very much like to be able to jump to a scriptural phrase that I already highlighted. This would make finding the scriptural reference easier, for example, the next time I am asked to give a talk in which I might use that reference.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Jumping to highlighted text

Post by aebrown »

moonman239 wrote:I'd very much like to be able to jump to a scriptural phrase that I already highlighted. This would make finding the scriptural reference easier, for example, the next time I am asked to give a talk in which I might use that reference.
This is already possible; every scripture you've highlighted using the Study Bar on LDS.org or using a mobile Gospel Library app will appear in a Notebook. You can also apply tags, and use the tag as a way to easily jump to the scripture. Regardless of whether you see the reference via a notebook or a tag, you can simply click on the scripture reference and you'll be taken directly to that scripture in context.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Maybe you're trying to keep a bunch of hyperlinks so you can quickly open them for a talk or lesson? I believe what aebrown was talking about was HTML anchor tags. Just in case you're not familiar with the way they work, here's an example of a hyperlink I happened to be reading from this week's Sunday School lesson:

Code: Select all

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/luke/15.4-10?lang=eng#3
This opens to Luke chapter 15.
Verses 4-10 will be highlighted in yellow.
The #3 anchor tag scrolls the page to verse 3. I believe they scroll to verse 3 because it's likely to be covered by the navigation bar at the top of the page. Therefore, you're likely to see verse 4 unobstructed.

You can also highlight discontiguous verses in the chapter. For example, if I didn't want to highlight verse 7, I could replace "4-10" with "4-6,8-10". I believe this works for all languages (I haven't tried them all).

Be forewarned that if you use the note-taking tools and highlight verses (only available in English), that your personal highlights may obscure the highlight from the URL. You can tun off the study bar if you don't want to see them.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mevans wrote:Maybe you're trying to keep a bunch of hyperlinks so you can quickly open them for a talk or lesson? I believe what aebrown was talking about was HTML anchor tags.
No, I was talking about the tag feature in Gospel Library mobile apps or the Notes tool on LDS.org. That's a simple feature for users that allows a marked scripture or other content to be tagged, typically with a subject such as "repentance" or "faith". Then you can go to the "faith" tag and see all the scriptures or other content tagged with "faith".
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

In the Gospel Library app, you can also create a link so that you can jump from one bit of highlighted text to a particular location (paragraph, verses) which you specify when creating the link.

You can also create a notebook, put your highlights in the notebook, and not need to jump.

Liz
mevans

Post by mevans »

aebrown wrote: No, I was talking about the tag feature in Gospel Library mobile apps or the Notes tool on LDS.org. That's a simple feature for users that allows a marked scripture or other content to be tagged, typically with a subject such as "repentance" or "faith". Then you can go to the "faith" tag and see all the scriptures or other content tagged with "faith".
Thanks, aebrown. I hadn't realized until now that I could apply a tag to a bookmark on the lds.org web pages. I use tags quite extensively for highlights. I learned something new today :)
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

lmcguire wrote:In the Gospel Library app, you can also create a link so that you can jump from one bit of highlighted text to a particular location (paragraph, verses) which you specify when creating the link.
Do those links work in iOS and Android? I know it works in iOS. If so, is it the same URL scheme? gospellibrary://content/ etc.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

I'm not talking about manually linking to content in the GL from outside the GL. I'm talking about highlighting text, tapping the link icon, navigating to the target of the link and saving that so that you have a custom link in the footnotes. All inside the GL app. That works in both Android and iOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRKyTRbAygQ

Liz
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

lmcguire wrote:I'm not talking about manually linking to content in the GL from outside the GL. I'm talking about highlighting text, tapping the link icon, navigating to the target of the link and saving that so that you have a custom link in the footnotes. All inside the GL app. That works in both Android and iOS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRKyTRbAygQ
Oh, OK. Never mind. :)
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

moonman239 wrote:I'd very much like to be able to jump to a scriptural phrase that I already highlighted. This would make finding the scriptural reference easier, for example, the next time I am asked to give a talk in which I might use that reference.
I'm learning JavaScript and thought it might be a fun project to make a bookmarklet that adds a "jump to previous/next highlight" box to LDS.org. If you add the following script to your bookmarks bar (select all and drag is easiest) you can click on it whenever you're on LDS.org, to add a navigator to the bottom of the chapter or article:

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(){/* Jump to Highlight: This bookmarklet jumps to the next highlighted item on a page on LDS.org. Created by Scripture Tools http://scripturetools.net/ */ var highlightedElements=document.querySelectorAll('.hl-yellow, .hl-red, .hl-blue, .hl-green, .hl-purple, .hl-orange, .hl-pink, .hl-gray, .hl-brown, .hl-dark_blue, .hl-clear, .hl-u-yellow, .hl-u-red, .hl-u-blue, .hl-u-green, .hl-u-purple, .hl-u-orange, .hl-u-pink, .hl-u-gray, .hl-u-brown, .hl-u-dark_blue'); var previousClass=''; window.allHighlights=[]; for(i=0;i<highlightedElements.length;i++){ if(highlightedElements[i].className!=previousClass){ allHighlights.push(highlightedElements[i].id); } previousClass=highlightedElements[i].className;} currentHighlightIndex=-1; var navigator=document.getElementById('navigatorDiv'); if(navigator==null){ navigator=document.createElement('div'); navigator.id='navigatorDiv'; navigator.setAttribute('style','position:fixed; bottom:20px; right:20px; z-index:2000; padding:20px; background-color:#eee; border:1px solid #000; border-radius:5px; text-align:center; line-height:1.2;'); document.body.appendChild(navigator); } if(allHighlights.length>0){navigator.innerHTML='<a href="javascript:(function(){currentHighlightIndex=currentHighlightIndex-1; if(currentHighlightIndex<0){currentHighlightIndex=allHighlights.length-1;} location.hash=\'\'; location.hash=allHighlights[currentHighlightIndex]; if(document.body.clientWidth>732){window.scrollBy(0,-45);}else{window.scrollBy(0,-4);} return false;})();">Previous</a><br /><br /><a href="javascript:(function(){currentHighlightIndex=currentHighlightIndex+1; if(currentHighlightIndex>=allHighlights.length){currentHighlightIndex=0;} location.hash=\'\'; location.hash=allHighlights[currentHighlightIndex]; if(document.body.clientWidth>732){window.scrollBy(0,-45);}else{window.scrollBy(0,-4);} return false;})();">Next</a>';}else{navigator.innerHTML='Nothing marked<br />on this page!';} })();
This probably isn't the most practical solution and may not be what you're looking for, but I had fun reverse-engineering LDS.org a bit.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”