2016 Events Erroneously Spanning Multiple Days

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
richarddd

2016 Events Erroneously Spanning Multiple Days

Post by richarddd »

I am beginning to enter holidays on our 2016 stake calendar. I create the event as an "All day event", set the Start Time and End Time as the same date, and leave the "This event repeats" box unchecked. After saving the event it appears on the calendar as a two or sometimes three day event. Editing the event and resetting the End Time solves the problem temporarily, but the problem reappears when I move back and forth between months. Am I doing something wrong?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: 2016 Events Erroneously Spanning Multiple Days

Post by russellhltn »

Can you give a specific date example?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
richarddd

Post by richarddd »

18 Jan 2016 MLK Day
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What browser? What time zone are you in?

Is anyone else reading this able to duplicate the problem? I can't.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
richarddd

Post by richarddd »

I'm using Firefox and I'm in the Central Time Zone. I just tried an event update using Google Chrome and the problem is the same
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

I can't reproduce the issue. I am in the mountain time zone. I tried Safari and Chrome on a mac and Chrome and IE on a PC. I tried creating events with and without locations. I am a stake calendar administrator and also have building scheduler rights.
robartsd

Post by robartsd »

I imagine that the calendar software might be assuming mountain time somewhere, but it would be weird fo that to affect events for one year but not annother. Perhaps it is applying to all newly created all day events? Does the MLK holiday you entered span to the next day or previous?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

That happens to me with my personal calendar. I live in Utah, but everyone else on my team is in central time. When they do an all-day event, it spans days for me. I have to take that event, then change the time zone, and it does the trick.

So it seems to be a bug related to the time zone...
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm thinking it might be related to DST. MLK day is on the "otherside" of DST. If my theory is correct, then it would affect Dec 2015 as well, but not October 2015.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm able to duplicate it if I set my computer's time zone to Mountain time. When editing the event, I find the start date has rolled forward. Once edited, then it's OK.

Also, if I use the calendar tool to set the ending date, I can't save the event - even though the date appears correctly. So somehow the data behind the displayed date is getting shifted somehow.

Edit: It affects new events. I can duplicate the problem with a event for next week.

Return to “Calendar”