TM Usage Statistics

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
drepouille

TM Usage Statistics

Post by drepouille »

This may have already been mentioned, but it seems to me that the graphs in the Usage Statistics are collected by GMT date, and not by local date. The big bump on Sundays appears on Sundays on the graph because most of the activity occurs before 7 PM CDT (midnight GMT). However, the bump I expect to see on Wednesdays due to youth activities actually appears on Thursdays on the graph.

The current date and time for the firewall is reported accurately using my local time (CDT), but any DHCP connections or bandwidth usage that happens after 7 PM CDT (midnight GMT) seems to appear on the graphs for the following date.

If I click Detailed Logging, I see a GMT timestamp on each detail line.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: TM Usage Statistics

Post by Mikerowaved »

[rant] This have been a sore point with me as well. If you look at the top of the Usage Statistics page, it SHOWS the correct time of day, adjusted for the timezone the firewall is in, so why can't that adjustment ALSO be made to the graph and Detailed Logging report? And do we REALLY need the timestamp's seconds out to 7 decimal places? [/rant]

BTW, I put in a request for this to be addressed shortly after they gave us TM, but I guess if enough people let their feelings be known, maybe it will get included in their busy work schedule.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Where does the graph come from? It might be a limitation of the analytics company being used.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CleggGP
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CleggGP »

The "View Detailed Logging" provides data for understanding and troubleshooting network connectivity. As stated the date/time values are GMT. The date is the first 10 characters of the string, and the time is the 16 characters following the "T". Users need to know their GMT time offset to determine their local time. Perhaps the TIMESTAMP can be simplified in the future (but this has not been a high-priority issue to work on).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The problem is also in the graph. In my case, my offset is high enough that my Sunday is split into two days. Evening events show up in the following day.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

CleggGP
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CleggGP »

Some good news. In a future TM release the date/time string will be shortened to yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss, and a the column title will be changed to TIMESTAMP (GMT).
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

CleggGP wrote:Some good news. In a future TM release the date/time string will be shortened to yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss, and a the column title will be changed to TIMESTAMP (GMT).
This will make it easier to read, however the biggest issue we're having is the whole GMT thing. Can they PLEASE add some math to localize the date/time to our own time zones? That would help tremendously.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”