Ward missionary funds in excess

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cropcare

Ward missionary funds in excess

Post by cropcare »

How do I transfer excess ward missionary funds to general missionary fund?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Ward missionary funds in excess

Post by aebrown »

cropcare wrote:How do I transfer excess ward missionary funds to general missionary fund?
You don't. Ward Missionary and General Missionary are distinct accounts. Excess ward missionary funds should be submitted to your stake. Then the stake clerk should know how to submit the surplus funds to Church headquarters; if not, he can contact the Global Service Center.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

This is the right way to do it. But I would also try to determine why you have excess funds. Is this a case where someone donated too much (like maybe someone came home early after their mission was "paid for in advance")? Or do you have donors who simply put in $5 here or $20 there? Did someone donate a huge, one-time sum for no apparent need? I think the reason for the surplus might be a factor is deciding the best thing to do, rather than simply turning it over to the stake without knowing why the money is there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mrrad wrote:But I would also try to determine why you have excess funds.
Excellent advice. Someone might have paid ahead. What looks like a surplus - isn't.

Another possibility is that someone is donating for a missionary whose responsibility ended up in another ward - which means that ward may wakeup in the next few months and ask for the money to cover their deficit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Michaeljefferyjones

Post by Michaeljefferyjones »

Keep the money in your Ward account. You could have a member who wants to go on a mission and cannot afford to pay or a new member who is on a low income then you can fund him/her. This happened in our Ward,so we had the funds to help
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Michaeljefferyjones wrote:Keep the money in your Ward account. You could have a member who wants to go on a mission and cannot afford to pay or a new member who is on a low income then you can fund him/her.
However, keep in mind Handbook 1: 14.4.3.

If that situation arises in the future, you could get help from the stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”