Head phones icon not in a good place

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
latviankid

Head phones icon not in a good place

Post by latviankid »

With the most recent update to the gospel library app someone moved the headphones icon to the bottom center of the page. This may come with some unintended consequences. For example, while sitting in sacrament meeting a person might want to scroll up or scroll down while listening to someone's wonderful talk. All of a sudden your IPad starts reciting whatever scripture you happen to have open at the time. It's placed right where we scroll.

Also, the music app has it in a similar place.
toonetown

Re: Head phones icon not in a good place

Post by toonetown »

Agreed. It should be moved somewhere else.

I sent the following in as a bug report (because there is no place now, that I can find for specific feature suggestions or developer discussion)

The "more prominent audio button" is HORRIBLE! I have learned to live with it over the past few months of using the beta - but now that it has been released publicly, I hear complaints from every single one of my family members on a daily basis. It is way too prominent, and I'd love to have the ability to turn it off.

The App Store reviews seem to follow that same feeling. The average rating for this last version is one full star lower than the overall average (3.5 versus 4.5)...and most of the reviews (even the positive ones - and nearly all the negative ones) mention how distracting the floating headphone icon is.

I feel this is a case where a small percentage of people may find it useful...and thus it does merit a preference to enable/disable - but in my experience, the vast majority of use cases of gospel library are using it in church, teaching lessons, following along in class, family scripture study, and other cases where listening to audio is NOT the primary goal.

The main use case for audio in my mind would be listening while traveling - and in that single case, a more prominent audio button may be helpful, but given that is just a single case of many others, I would like to propose that there be an option to show the headphones - and that the option is disabled by default.

I'd suggest that those who don't like the new headphone icon placement to submit some sort of feedback via the app itself.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

latviankid wrote:For example, while sitting in sacrament meeting a person might want to scroll up or scroll down while listening to someone's wonderful talk. All of a sudden your IPad starts reciting whatever scripture you happen to have open at the time. It's placed right where we scroll.
It won't start audio automatically – after pressing the audio button, you still have to press Play.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
latviankid

Post by latviankid »

Nice to know that I'm apparently not the only one. Look at how many people in the reviews of the app in App Store have mentioned the same thing...

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”