Best Way to Verify a Location

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
Hilohi

Best Way to Verify a Location

Post by Hilohi »

This is probably a silly question, but I want to make sure I do things correctly the first time around. Anyway, what's the best way to verify a location, using a map app like Google Maps?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Best Way to Verify a Location

Post by jdlessley »

I wouldn't use something like Google Maps to verify a location. Something like Google Maps is fine for getting an idea where a household location is. But there can be, and have been for me in my area, errors for the location provided. I use one of two methods to verify a location. The first is local government GIS sourcing or physically go to the address. The latter is best done with the help of others in your unit. Fortunately the GIS sourcing has proven a quicker, and quite accurate method.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:I wouldn't use something like Google Maps to verify a location.
You could use street view to see if you can see an address.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jirp

Post by jirp »

I am going to suggest a 2 sources rule. I didn't start out this way but have found people are wrong often enough to want a verifier.(usually they sound unsure but not always) Mark the location as approximate with the first pass and exact when you get a verifier.

sources
1. Personal knowledge.(still had a few houses that even when I knew where the lived from ground level I had to go drive by and be sure I was marking the correct house)
2. Ward members in particular leadership. Go through the list with each of your presidencies and get more placed. Tithing settlement is another good time to catch people on an individual basis work on the list.
3. Google maps street view may help
4. The missionaries. Odds are it is inactive families they are knocking on the doors for so this one is dual purpose.
5. Community resources.

This isn't a fast operation but accuracy is more important than speed. Just keep nibbling away at this.
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'll definitely put them to use.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Something to consider is what degree of accuracy is needed? In a large complex, do you need the right tower, or is something indicating which complex good enough? And how sure do you have to be? Mistakes can be fixed. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Some may argue for disaster planning - but I have personal experience locating a friend 30 days after a Cat 1 hurricane. I found the home with it's roof gone. I learned from a neighbor that she was with friends several miles away. So even if you locate the old location perfectly, you're probably going to have to ask around.

I think as long as it's close enough to know where to park your car or divide a ward, it's probably good enough. It's unlikely to destroy some great masterful plan if a few members are one building off. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for sloppy work - just that it's better to get them close then to not place them at all. At some point you're going to have to say it's good enough and move on.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jirp

Post by jirp »

I agree getting them on the map is important. That is why the approximate listing was used first. Lets get them on the map and if wrong correct later. By using it you have a way to know that information hasn't been double checked yet.

Personally the accuracy I have been aiming for for end result is to put the marker on the front door or the primarily used door(if different) of the house. That means zooming clear in on the picture and even then the maps softwares moves it a bit after it is placed. That can be corrected by reloading the browser and moving the icon again while under max zoom in. For a nursing home for example by location when I get done you should be able to tell which wing and which side of the hall from the map. But the icons were placed in the main lobby if I didn't know that yet. But some houses with the approximate setting are probably totally correct and others if they are on the same block it is a maybe.
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

I found in the current help section the specifics as to how to verify a location. https://www.lds.org/help/support/maps/w ... n-location of course I believe your calling would need to be a clerk or Exec. Sec., or Bishopric Member. This is for the new "Ward Map". How does this relate to what this topic is talking about? Maybe we are talking about only google maps in this topic, not "Ward Map"? :?:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:How does this relate to what this topic is talking about? Maybe we are talking about only google maps in this topic, not "Ward Map"? :?:
No, we're talking about "Ward Map". The instruction say how to verify a location.

This thread is about how to determine the correct location so you can make an accurate verification (short of making a personal visit).

1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

jdlessley wrote:The first is local government GIS sourcing ---
What is this? Is this part of "Ward Map" or is this something apart, on another application?

Is there a thread or topic that is discussing the new way to verify location on the recent update of maps called "Ward Map"?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”