Foster Child baptism

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lchoyt

Foster Child baptism

Post by lchoyt »

I ran into a record in one of our wards where a foster child was baptised last month and the parents were listed on her individual record as the foster parents and not the biological parents. I know the young lady only knows her fathers name.
I have never run into this before. Is this right or do we need to fix it ????
Thanks for any help
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Foster Child baptism

Post by russellhltn »

Good question. I'm not finding a direct answer to that. Handbook 1: 13.6.12 indicates that the parents of adopted children can't be updated until the adoption is final. I'm not sure where that leaves foster parents since it's hardly "final", but it is legal. Part of it may depend on if the parent's rights have been terminated or if there's a possibility that they might be returned.

It should be noted that Handbook 1: 3.6.2 indicates that it's possible for living children to be sealed to foster parents, but requires First Presidency approval.

I think this calls for a call to Local Unit Support to see if they can find more detailed guidance.

Unless something that changed, the membership system can only record "parents". It doesn't have the ability to record one than on set (such as biological, adopted, foster, etc.) like you find in FamilySearch.

My gut feeling is that it should be her biological parents until adopted. Mostly because that would flag future leaders as to the situation should they try to seal her to her foster parents.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lchoyt

Post by lchoyt »

This was my feeling also. I don't think the foster parents intend on adopting at least they haven't with other children they have had. I'll take your advice and call LUS and also talk to the foster parents. I'll post my results.
Thanks
lchoyt

Post by lchoyt »

After checking with the Foster parents to make sure they did not adopt the child, I called LUS. They told me that since this was a convert baptism the information is completed by the mission home and the biological parent/parents "if know" is what needs to be on the record and if "not known" it is left blank and the record will still be created.

ps the mission home when called was unaware of this and assumed since the foster parents were the legal guardians, they should be listed as parents.

Return to “Membership Help”