HP Laserjet P2015d vs Thinkcenter M73

Discussions about setup, operation, and maintenance of these devices in meetinghouses other than a FHC
davidjejr

HP Laserjet P2015d vs Thinkcenter M73

Post by davidjejr »

Just hit an odd thing. I have been installing new Thnkcenter M73 computers in the wards. One ward has a HP Laserjet P2015d printer. I soon found out that if the printer is on and plugged into the computer (USB port) and then you go to shut down the computer. The computer will shut down - pause for 2 seconds - then restart. Just like a reboot. The printer will not let the computer shut off properly. Turn the printer off first and the computer shuts down just fine.

I am going to just install a different printer for this ward, but has anyone else come across this? A google search showed a few other people out there in the world with the same issue with this printer.

The printer worked fine with the old ward Dell computer
I tried several different print drivers for the printer - no change.
I have not tried this printer on another M73 yet.
drepouille

Re: HP Laserjet P2015d vs Thinkcenter M73

Post by drepouille »

Have you tried another USB port? I know that the "keyboard USB port" allows you to power on the computer by pressing Alt-P. If a printer were attached to that port, it might cause the power-on sequence to occur.

Just guessing.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

By the same token, check the BIOS for any setting that allows anything to wake up the computer. There's probably a "wake on LAN". I don't think that's it, but it wouldn't hurt to disable that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

davidjejr wrote:Just hit an odd thing. I have been installing new Thnkcenter M73 computers in the wards. One ward has a HP Laserjet P2015d printer. I soon found out that if the printer is on and plugged into the computer (USB port) and then you go to shut down the computer. The computer will shut down - pause for 2 seconds - then restart. Just like a reboot. The printer will not let the computer shut off properly. Turn the printer off first and the computer shuts down just fine.
Not that this is related, but I have been having the reverse problem with the hp compaq 6305 computers and wireless adapters. If a wireless adapter is connected to one of the USB ports on the back, Windows will start, but hangs before it displays the login chooser screen. Luckily, I only have four admin computers that need wireless adapters.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
davidjejr

Post by davidjejr »

I forgot to mention in my initial post that I did try other USB ports. If the computer was on and I moved the printer cable to a different USB port. It would allow me to turn if off. But once it started again it reset the USB port and cause the issue to continue.

I since found that that two other wards have P2015dn printers and do not have that problem. It is only the non-network version that does this.

I have not checked the BIOS. Will have to do that.

I switched the printer out with another brand to solve the issue for now.

Return to “Printers, Copiers, and Multi-Function Devices”