Lenovo Tiny

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
drepouille

Lenovo Tiny

Post by drepouille »

My biggest surprise when I booted the Lenovo Tiny last night for the first time was that, rather than the username being "Clerk" the username was the same as the password we normally use for the Clerk account. The password was also the same password we normally use for Clerk.

The Lenovo image only asked me for the unit number. It did not ask me for the username or password. I decided it would be prudent to rename the account to Clerk. However, I worry that the directory name for that user account may remain the same as the clerk password.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Lenovo Tiny

Post by lajackson »

I think this would be worth a call to the Global Service Center or Local Unit Support.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

They confirmed that the image on our new Lenovo is not correct, and sent me an e-mail with instructions as to how to download and install a current image. I had already found those images in the Help Center last night, but I needed confirmation that the image that was shipped on the computer was wrong before I went through the trouble of downloading a new image.

We have seen many complaints about Lenovo images on this forum in the past few months.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I just called the GSC again because I found conflicting instructions in two Help Center articles.

In "Setting Up a New Clerk Computer":
•Enter the following username: Clerk
1.Type the password: [the standard password]
2.Retype the password: [the standard password]

In "Reimaging local unit computers":
Note: Once you are done the default user name will be "[the standard password]".

When I called the GSC yesterday to report that the default user name on a new Lenovo M73 Tiny was [the standard password], they told me the image was bad, and I should download and install the current image. I am willing to do that. However, I don't want to waste my time installing a new image that is also incorrect.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

To summarize my findings:
1. The Lenovo M73 image does indeed create a default account named the same as its password.
2. I did report that to the GSC, who told me to download and install the latest image, but that image also has the same issue.
3. It took me four tries to download the entire 13.3GB image, but unpacking the image to a flash drive with Rufus was simple and easy.
4. As stated in my previous post, the "Setting Up a New Clerk Computer" article and the "Reimaging local unit computers" article contradict each other as to the name of the default account.
Why is this simple stuff so difficult to get right?

You can bet that I will create a "Clerk" account and blow away the default account named the same as the default password.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:You can bet that I will create a "Clerk" account and blow away the default account named the same as the default password.
You may find that the account is THE administrator. You may have to rename it instead.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I forgot about the directory name not getting renamed. I thought you couldn't rename "the" administrator account though.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:I thought you couldn't rename "the" administrator account though.
You can, but I think you have to use a different method than usual.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Re: Wireless Survey of church building with Netspot

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:
craiggsmith wrote:I thought you couldn't rename "the" administrator account though.
You can, but I think you have to use a different method than usual.
Quite straightforward, go to User Accounts and change the name there. Deeper down, in Windows, the original name is the same, but for our purposes doesn't affect the operation!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I seem to recall that "the" administrator name is listed in the security policy. That's why I wondered if it would be an issue to change it.

Return to “Clerk Computers”