Sony EVI-D100

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
cmacfarlane

Sony EVI-D100

Post by cmacfarlane »

Has any tried to use a Sony EVI-D100? My concerns are:

1. Zoom - it has a 10x zoom compared to the 18x on the D70. I want to still get the closeup shots of the speaker without using the digital zoom.

2. Does the Control software created by CWShop work on the D100? Which really means are the D70 and D100 controlled the same way - Including the text overlay capabilities?

3. The D100 doesn't seem to have a "flip" switch to allow the camera to be mounted on the ceiling. Is that correct or is there a software switch somewhere that would allow flipping the image?

4. One of the threads in this forum, speaking about a different camera, mentioned auto focus taking too long when panning. Does the D100 focus quick enough to not be distracting to the viewers?

Any thoughts and advice are welcomed!
michaelfish

Re: Sony EVI-D100

Post by michaelfish »

1. Zoom - it has a 10x zoom compared to the 18x on the D70. I want to still get the closeup shots of the speaker without using the digital zoom.
The frame of a closeup picture is relative to the distance away from the speaker. Assuming that the camera will be in the overflow area about 75' back from the pulpit, the camera can give you a closeup of the subject but will not fill the screen and block out the background since the viewing angle at 10x is only 6.6 degrees. BTW, digital zoom makes the picture VERY grainy.
2. Does the Control software created by CWShop work on the D100? Which really means are the D70 and D100 controlled the same way
The Sony EVI-D100's camera pan, tilt and zoom movements can be controlled by Sony' s VISCA protocol so it works with CWShop and many other VISCA computer control devices.
Including the text overlay capabilities?
The camera does not do text overlays.
3. The D100 doesn't seem to have a "flip" switch to allow the camera to be mounted on the ceiling. Is that correct or is there a software switch somewhere that would allow flipping the image?
Yes, but it would be a waste of time and money. The quality of the image will be dependent on the quality of the software, the software will induce lag (delay) in processing the flip, there is the cost of the software to consider, you would need computer to run it on (would also rob processing power), etc.
auto focus taking too long when panning. Does the D100 focus quick enough to not be distracting to the viewers?

The automatic focus does not take a long time to focus, but cameras can have difficulty focusing accurately and take extra time when there are elements in the picture which can confuse the mechanism.

Final thoughts:
Why not use the Sony EVI-D70? If you are on a budget, you can purchase a good used one for less than $150. In addition, it was recommended by the church because it has the necessary features designed for our type of worship services. The camera has a better zoom (2.7 degrees vs. 6.6 degrees on the EVI-D100) and picture quality than the EVI-D100, it is more sensitive in low light (and thus less grainy), has the camera flip feature, works with CWShop, has fast and accurate automatic focus, etc.
cmacfarlane

Post by cmacfarlane »

Thanks for the details, michaelfish. You're comments are helpful.

I've been looking for good, used D70's for a day or two and haven't come up with any options for around $150. I'd be more than happy to use a used D70 if I can find it for $150. Anyone have any specific outlets besides eBay? (eBay's fine I just haven't found one for $150 there in my quick looking).
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

Tested the EVI-D100, Low light picture quality is very poor.

PM sent.
Roland
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

haven't come up with any options for around $150. Anyone have any specific outlets besides eBay?
Be patient and look for those you can bid on (eBay) and make sure they come with what you need (those green 9-pin Phoenix connectors cost about $20 if the camera doesn't come with one and power supplies go for around $10).

If you look through the SOLD listings and sort by lowest price, you'll be surprised at how low they've been going for.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”