Windows 7 Critical Update Reboots

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
drepouille

Windows 7 Critical Update Reboots

Post by drepouille »

As I unbox and configure ten new admin computers, I am finding that Windows Updates are causing a large number of reboots. I suppose that is understandable. As an OS gets older, and more time passes since the last service pack, I should expect more critical updates, which cause reboots.

Since these reboots interfere with the Sophos installation, I decided to just keep rebooting until all critical updates are done, and then install Sophos. It is just an annoying fact of life.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Windows 7 Critical Update Reboots

Post by russellhltn »

Yeah, something about the way the church has configured updates - they just appear and then you need to reboot. That's not the way Microsoft does it.

Since Sophos takes ages to install/update, I think I'd start that and go home. Or what I've done is wait for the actual install to complete and then shut down while it's trying to update. When the ward comes in and fires up the computer the update will complete then. I'm not sitting around for an hour to wait for Sophos.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

This is interesting as I've just completed configuring six Dell 7020's, with the Church downloaded W7 image, for Clerk computers. The computers had been supplied with FHC images.

I put the downloaded image, on a 16Gbyte memory stick, using a free utility called Rufus. This was recommended in the notes in the Help Centre. During the installation, apart from setting the usual country, keyboard, time etc., Sophos was installed automatically, as part of the process. During this process, the computers rebooted probably at least 6 times, without any intervention on my part. In fact I realised quite quickly that it was best to just let it get on with it, until it prompted for some user input.

When it had finally finished, that's when I started on the Windows Updates. Sophos didn't affect the Updates in any way. I did however turn off Windows Defender, before starting that process! To get to the update point, probably took 40-50 minutes.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I always configure the computers at home since it can take many hours for all the installs. I always let the windows updates run first before doing Sophos. With the XP machines the number of updates and reboots was even more.

With the new image I just let it run through all its automatic installs and reboots and then let it sit for a while until the windows updates appear; I don't manually run Windows update any more. It takes a little while. I'm surprised that I still had so many updates when I used an image that I thought had just been created.

I don't know why they don't disable Windows Defender, but I do that as well.

The new image creates an account, but uses the wrong account name. The account name and password should never be the same.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

craiggsmith wrote:The new image creates an account, but uses the wrong account name. The account name and password should never be the same.
That is why I mentioned that issue in two other threads, and called the GSC.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Sorry, hadn't seen that thread. I notified the GSC about this issue as well (weeks ago). Guess it takes a while for things to get fixed.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Clerk Computers”