Transferring MLS from old to new computer

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
craiggsmith

Transferring MLS from old to new computer

Post by craiggsmith »

I'm setting up a new computer right now and it looks like they logged in and used MLS last night, which negates the security token reset. I know you can copy the entire MLS directory so you don't need the token reset, and that's also necessary if you don't have an account in that ward's MLS. But I'm wondering if anyone has more specifically determined what directories/files are needed or not needed and/or if there are any disadvantages to copying all the folders. I was thinking a clean installation might be better.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Transferring MLS from old to new computer

Post by russellhltn »

The data directories and the program directories are separate. Do not copy anything under "Program Files". Let the install set that up.

I would copy everything under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\LDS Church\MLS\ (for XP) or C:\ProgramData\LDS Church\MLS\ (for Win7).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks.

It seems there is quite a bit of redundancy in the files -- multiple directories with what seems like the same files. Sometime I'll have to find a clean install and compare it.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:It seems there is quite a bit of redundancy in the files -- multiple directories with what seems like the same files. Sometime I'll have to find a clean install and compare it.
You're probably seeing internal backups.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I see what you're referring to; it seems there is only one extra of those so that's fine. In the other folder there are two folders, one with the unit number and one named mls, with a unit number folder inside it, and they appear redundant. New installations only have the mls folder, and the first unit number folder doesn't have anything remotely recent in it, so I think a change was made a while ago. It seems just the udx/mls folder and the units folder are necessary. But even the mls folder has subfolders that don't exist in newer installations. But don't take my word for it.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Clerk Computers”