Bookmarks not working

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
tdbeezy

Bookmarks not working

Post by tdbeezy »

With the new format, bookmarks for some pages are moving to the top of the page. They are stuck there. I can't grab them and move them to a specific scripture. Also, I can't click on bookmarks and remove it. When I click on bookmarks, it just moves me back to the top of the page.
tdbeezy

Re: Bookmarks not working

Post by tdbeezy »

Back in business. It looks like it is working fine now.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

Also, in the apps, the Bookmarks work the same way physical bookmarks in print books do - you move it as you read to keep your place. They are placeholders. In the online version, however, Bookmarks are used to mark favourite articles that you want to keep track of and go back to again and again.
caramichas

Post by caramichas »

It would be nice if the online version's Bookmarks could work more like placeholders, not favorites. For example, I'd like to be able to easily pick up where I left off reading scriptures or studying Preach My Gospel the day before while using a the notebook online in a browser. I can easily update bookmarks after moving ahead on my tablet, but online, I can't do it.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

I answer the feedback for the study tools at LDS.org via the feedback forms. There are just as many people who like the online version as like the app version of bookmarks! It would be nice if there were a way to have both as a study tool - a 'mark your place' tool and 'save it to favourites' tool. :)
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

PamelaBonta wrote:It would be nice if there were a way to have both as a study tool - a 'mark your place' tool and 'save it to favourites' tool. :)
My vote would be to use bookmarks the way they are in the app - just like paper bookmarks, to hold your place.

For identifying articles as favorites (a list that could get huge and thereby make the bookmarks drop-down difficult to navigate), my preference would be to use any of the existing options:
* Create a notebook called "Favorites". Add item to the notebook.
* Tag the top of the item with a "Favorites" tag
* Bookmark it (even if bookmarks work like in the app, you can still bookmark the top of an article)
* Use the browser's "favorites" or "bookmark" feature (wouldn't sync with the app though)

...in other words, it looks like the online tool is missing a place-holder function (though you could simulate it with a tag and/or highlighting), whereas the app has (potential for) both features.

...if a new feature were going to be added, I think it would be best to make it like the Custom Collections feature, but allow individual articles or chapters to be added to the collection rather than requiring entire books.

In the meantime, it looks like when you bookmark a page online, you can add a note, tags, and put it in a notebook (all in a single pop-up), so you could use those features to specify where you left off (not as ideal as the app bookmarks, but better than nothing)...

FWIW,

Liz

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”