Donation Made To The Wrong Category

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
webmonk

Donation Made To The Wrong Category

Post by webmonk »

We have a missionary in the field. We had been adding funds to his account weekly. Recently the mission added an entry for his mobile device. This caused confusion one day and I accidentally deposited funds designated for his general mission category into the mobile device category. What is the proper way to correct this? Transfer the funds from the mobile device category to his general category? Go back into the original donation and make the correction? Another way?

Thanks
eblood66

Re: Donation Made To The Wrong Category

Post by eblood66 »

webmonk wrote:We have a missionary in the field. We had been adding funds to his account weekly. Recently the mission added an entry for his mobile device. This caused confusion one day and I accidentally deposited funds designated for his general mission category into the mobile device category. What is the proper way to correct this? Transfer the funds from the mobile device category to his general category? Go back into the original donation and make the correction? Another way?

Thanks
Go back to the original donation and make the correction. Any other course of action will not make the donation show up as tax deductible on the year end statement.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I believe the best way to correct the record is to correct the original donations and place them in the right category. It takes a bit more time than creating one transfer to put the funds in the right place but, in the long run, it will make it easier to know the real intent of those donations.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

mrrad wrote:I believe the best way to correct the record is to correct the original donations and place them in the right category. It takes a bit more time than creating one transfer to put the funds in the right place but, in the long run, it will make it easier to know the real intent of those donations.
It's more important than just that because the mobile device category is not tax deductible but the normal ward missionary category is. To make sure the donation shows up as tax deductible on the year end statement the donation category must be corrected.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Well, then, as a general rule I believe that correcting the original donation record(s) is the best solution to all situations like this. In this case, that would solve the tax question as well.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”