Having Problems Downloading Books? Start Here.

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

ToManyLetters

Having Problems Downloading Books? Start Here.

Post by ToManyLetters »

Let's get this out of the way first: There is something wrong with your computer, not with the application. Don't be alarmed, however. It's fixable and should be relatively easy to do. We're still learning about how this error comes to be an issue for users of the application, but we believe we've tracked down a solution to help you get your downloads working.

We will be regularly visiting this thread to work with users and to update this thread with more information that may be useful to you.

Symptoms of this issue
  • When you attempt to download a book using Gospel Library for Windows, you receive the following error:
    Unable to download book. Exception from HRESULT: 0X80072EE4
  • Other applications, like the Kindle app for Windows, may experience similar issues downloading content.
Steps to resolve the error
  1. Open the start screen and type "cmd".
  2. As cmd appears in the search results on the right side of your screen, right-click on the results and click "Run as administrator". On touch, press and hold on it and tap "Run as administrator". You MUST run cmd as an administrator for this to work.
  3. Type the following command in command prompt exactly and run it by hitting enter:
    dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
  4. Restart your device after the command completes.
  5. Open Gospel Library for Windows and check to see if it is now possible for you to download books in the application.
  6. Report back here and say whether or not this fix worked for you. The more information we can get about this issue, the faster we can help users resolve it.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
ToManyLetters

Re: Having Problems Downloading Books? Start Here.

Post by ToManyLetters »

Other potential solutions
Before we move on, let's look at another pair of possible causes for the issue:
  • 1. Your anti-virus and other protection software, including third party firewall software and malware or spyware protection applications. If you are using anything but the built-in antivirus and firewall on Windows 8.1 (Windows Defender and Windows Firewall), try temporarily disabling your third party protection software. Try downloading a book from Gospel Library when these applications are disabled. If the application is successful in downloading a book while your software is disabled, you will need to contact your software provider for support or chose a different protection solution.
  • 2. Your connection to the Internet. Sometimes, oddly, a router or other devices on the network can cause unexpected behaviors. Try downloading books on a network different from the one on which you are experiencing issues. Visit a friend's home (could get a nice visit in for home or visiting teaching at the same time!) or a place that offers free public Wi-Fi, like McDonald's. Further, corporate networks may have policies that prevent the application from accessing the necessary sources to download books to your device.
What to do if you're running into an error (like hresult=0x800f0906) when running dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If you're running into issue with running the command mentioned in the post above and neither your anti-virus nor your connection to the Internet appears to be the culprit, let's try going a little further.
  1. Double check that the command was entered precisely. Reopen cmd as an administrator and attempt the command again, this time without copy-pasting if you tried that last time. Be very careful to get each and every letter right, including spaces.
  2. Check that Windows Update is working. If Windows Update is working, try the steps listed at this article: If Windows Update is not working, try repairing it with the following solution from Microsoft FixIt:
  3. Try the command again, again with cmd being run as an administrator.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

The last resort
If all else fails, the last option currently open to users is to refresh your Windows device. (You can read steps for this at the link below.) Be warned, however, this will uninstall all of your programs, and while it should not remove your personal files, you should always back them up before performing a refresh. Once your device has been refreshed, you can reinstall Gospel Library or Gospel Library Beta from the Windows Store and books will download as expected.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... h-reset-pc
egnlsn

Post by egnlsn »

I didn't start seeing this error message until recently. I started with GL with the Beta version quite some time ago. I downloaded the entire library of Ensigns with no issues. The final release became available, and I uninstalled the beta version and installed the final release. Again, no issues at all with the downloads. There were some things in the beta version I wanted to give a try to, so I went back to it. Again, I downloaded the entire library of Ensigns. However, each issue that I opened was empty. Each title was there, but there were no articles at all. I never got any error messages, just no content. Actually, now that I think about it, there was no content at all -- not just Ensigns, but scriptures, etc as well. Uninstalled the beta version and re-installed the final version (Version 2.15.3.40). Now, I get that "Unable to download book. Exception from HRESULT: 0X80072EE4" error message. However, when I click on the issue to which it refers, the entire issue is there (at least from what I can tell. I haven't checked out the whole thing yet).

I'm also running the preview edition of Windows 10 on a laptop, and I've received that error message several times. I haven't checked any of them out yet, though.
CIAO!

Ed Nielsen

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”