Text overlay with VidiU

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
michaelcox

Text overlay with VidiU

Post by michaelcox »

Maybe I'm missing something. We had Stake Conference yesterday and decided to use the old Meetinghouse Webcast solution so we had more time to test and implement VidiU. One thing I haven't found on mhtech is how to do text overlay for things like speakers name, words to hymns, etc. Any suggestions? Also, if we do want to do 2 cameras (the mounted Sony and one on a tripod) are we not able to do that with VidiU? Or do I need to stick a computer between the cameras and and VidiU to do text overlay, etc?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Text overlay with VidiU

Post by russellhltn »

From what I can tell the VidiU is strictly an encoder. You're going to have to use something external to do source switching or overlays.

Note that the Webcast Requirements says:
Units that use webcast technology are encouraged to keep their webcast setup as simple as possible. Overly complicated systems can be difficult to run, and represent an unnecessary expense to the Church. Advanced features such as speaker titles, hymn text, and multiple cameras are not required for a successful webcast.
So it would appear those features were not considered in deciding on the VidiU.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The VidiU has one video input and one audio input.

It can be as simple as a camera and the chapel sound system, or as complex as a video mixer with graphic overlay output and an audio mixer with pulpit, choir, organ, crowd noise, and crying baby combined audio output.

But it all has to wind up on one wire for video and one wire for audio to go into the VidiU.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

And the other problem, NO live preview.
Roland
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

That is what the wirecast solution will do. To answer your question, yes, a computer that has multiple inputs will do what you want it to. Also a video switch/mixer will do that as well. Pull your feeds into the video switch and then use a single output to the VidiU.

In this way the VidiU and the Webcaster are performing the same functionality (only with a reliance on HDMI input instead of Composite-Video.

In our church, we have a tendency to go over-the-top at times and I think this is good council to follow. I think if it becomes too much of a burden putting on something fancy-dancy just 'cuz' then we go beyond what we really need to be doing.

In my former stake, we had a member that routinely did remote camera studio-type work, he had a couple of quickly portable nice HDMI cameras. I had 2 different members that did camera operator work in College (one with BYUTV) and to them it was old hat, in fact, I had to hold them back a bit, but providing text overlays, hyms, etc... multiple camera angles, all that came very natural to them and didn't really constitute a major effort.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

There are a few basic principles to follow:
- Be careful how you spend "the widow's mite". Stay within your approved budget.
- Do not comingle your personal property with Church property. If the Church needs a piece of equipment, it should buy it, rather than borrowing your personal property.
- Implement solutions that are simple, standardized, well documented, and easy to perform by whoever replaces you in your calling. Your term of service may end at any time, sometimes without notice.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
mnorto3

Post by mnorto3 »

I agree in the simple setup. However, with many new video streaming options in the cloud, are there some that have a web UI that would allow the admin to add overlays through their streaming service? I almost see it with Wowza, but they do not have a UI, only APIs to do it. Anyone know of anything different that would work?

To the point made by lajackson, we have been investigating choir mics so those in other buildings get to enjoy the entire spirit of a meeting. It can enhance the experience for all not in attendance in the stake center. Just a thought.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”