Multiple WAPs

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jeromer7

Multiple WAPs

Post by jeromer7 »

Due to the distance between the FHC CCN and our admin computers, we're considering running a cable from an open port on the Pix to a second WAP positioned within range of the admin computers. I haven't seen any discussions on any of the lists that match this scenario and wondered if someone else has successfully (or not) done this.
JLR
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

JLRose wrote:Due to the distance between the FHC CCN and our admin computers, we're considering running a cable from an open port on the Pix to a second WAP positioned within range of the admin computers. I haven't seen any discussions on any of the lists that match this scenario and wondered if someone else has successfully (or not) done this.
You may not have to run a cable. Since you already have a WAP you can run a second WAP as a repeater off the first. Essentially this extends the range of the first WAP. Of course that assumes that the second WAP is capable of being a repeater. The Church provided Cisco 1200 series WAP has that capability. Also the Linksys WRT54G wireless router can be setup to be a repeater - but that is beyond explanation here. This is just an option you might consider.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JLRose wrote:Due to the distance between the FHC CCN and our admin computers, we're considering running a cable from an open port on the Pix to a second WAP positioned within range of the admin computers. I haven't seen any discussions on any of the lists that match this scenario and wondered if someone else has successfully (or not) done this.
I haven't done it personally, but we have two buildings with CCNs, and both were wired with multiple WAPs. I have walked through the building with my laptop, and it connects just fine to the different WAPs.
cboling

Post by cboling »

We did it and it worked well.

We had a similar problem; our access point in the stake offices at one end of the building didn't cover much. Someone ran out and bought a $100 repeater (Linksys Expander, IIRC) without technical authorization, and it didn't work well (didn't work at all with encryption) and got shelved. We ran an ethernet cable (used the existing phone line to pull a fresh phone cable + ethernet cable through the conduit) to the satellite/audio/phone room and put another access point back there, and between the two we have good coverage everywhere except the primary room.

Picturing a rectangular stake center, with the "long" direction running 12 & 6 o'clock (I know, circles and rectangles don't quite mix), the stake offices are at 12 o'clock, the phone room at 8:00, and the primary room in the corner at 5:00. Patched that hole and beefed up coverage in the back of the cultural hall with the repeater in the FM room @ 4:00, but it just wouldn't work with either of our AP's (which were two brands other than Linksys, but were obtained for under $20 for both).

Were we to place the 2nd AP in a better location (e.g. above the stage) instead of at the edge of the building, we'd have 100% coverage with the two AP's. (moving the AP from the stake offices to the front of the chapel in the organ speaker cage or something would be even better.)
eyoungberg-p40

dividers = RF shield

Post by eyoungberg-p40 »

cboling wrote:Were we to place the 2nd AP in a better location (e.g. above the stage) instead of at the edge of the building, we'd have 100% coverage with the two AP's. (moving the AP from the stake offices to the front of the chapel in the organ speaker cage or something would be even better.)

Maybe - you'd need to try it with the dividers closed between the cultural hall and the chapel. Our experience is the dividers, in addition to shielding sound, do really well at either attenuating and/or reflecting 802.1 b/g RF signals.
DeeGardiner

Post by DeeGardiner »

We just completed the installation at our stake center and are getting ready to install at the other buildings in our stake. We choose to run CAT5e cable to each clerk's office. We will also place one or two wireless access points in each building to give wireless coverage of the bishop's offices, the chapel, and some of the larger classrooms. For our stake center we have a WAP in the stake suite and one in a clerk's office in the opposite corner of the building. That gives us coverage of most of the building - even with the brick wall construction (at least for 802.11n).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

DeeGardiner wrote:We will also place one or two wireless access points in each building to give wireless coverage of the bishop's offices, the chapel, and some of the larger classrooms.
Depending on the intended purpose, that might be limiting. I'd envision one of the uses would be to help the Priesthood quorums and auxiliary leaders correlate on the calendar. I'd think they'd be using the smaller classrooms of their meetings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”