Android as receiving device

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
bido101

Android as receiving device

Post by bido101 »

Recently called as STS and starting to think through our next webcast.

We have been using G-Box Android devices at our receiving buildings with the old webcasting solution. I'd like to reuse them, if possible.

Has anybody successfully used an Android device with the new webcasting? If so, what app did you use? Etc.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Android as receiving device

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest you set up a test receive-only webcast and test it out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bido101 wrote:Has anybody successfully used an Android device with the new webcasting? If so, what app did you use? Etc.
I received a test broadcast this week on a Galaxy S2 phone. The purpose was just to monitor that it was working, not to send it out through the meetinghouse. The phone gave me the option to use the Web or the Android video function. The latter worked.
bido101

Post by bido101 »

How exactly did you test on the Galaxy S2 device? What app? Chrome?

Following link below is a screen capture from my Moto X (2014) with KitKat 4.4.2. I attempt to view a test receive-only webcast. Something happens where I end at the following URL: "notices/player.html?err=1000&lang=eng". And I mean literally that URL. Chrome complains loudly that it can't resolve "notices" as a hostname. Of course it can't.

This behavior happens on Mobile Safari on iPad 3, too.

Further, this same behavior happens on both Chrome and Firefox for the following devices:

Moto X (2013)
Moto G
Moto E
Nexus 5

I have yet to try it on the G-Box that I'd like to eventually use.

Any thoughts?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/69cj53ytiawhu ... s.mp4?dl=0
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bido101 wrote:How exactly did you test on the Galaxy S2 device? What app? Chrome?
The S2 comes with an app called Internet. I logged into the broadcast site with my LDS Account information, entered the event code, and was given two options. One was to use "Internet", which I assume would have just let the browser run it. The other was to use Android, which I had never seen before and which I cannot find as a specific app on my phone.

I selected Internet and nothing ever happened. So I went back and selected Android and the broadcast streamed on my phone.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I do very little actual Internet work on my phone.

My laptop runs Windows 8.1/Firefox and I have successfully streamed broadcasts on it. I have no idea how I would get the stream from my phone to the chapel system, but my laptop has an HDMI port and that's how I do most streams.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bido101 wrote:Any thoughts?
Unless getting it to work on your phones is important as well, I think I'd jump to testing on the G-box. It's worked on one Android, so it's worth trying. The G-box has apps installed for dealing with video, so it may have a better chance of working.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bido101

Post by bido101 »

I've now tested it on the G-Box Android devices our stake already purchased some years ago.

The same behavior I described above occurs. Upon navigating to the URL provided by portal.ldswebcast.org, I'm redirected to a non-existent webpage.

IMG_20150420_190613978.jpg[/attachment [attachment=0]IMG_20150420_190537358_HDR.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20150420_190613978.jpg
(88.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_20150420_190537358_HDR.jpg
(76.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”