Stake Geo Codes

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jsmackley

Stake Geo Codes

Post by jsmackley »

I've been working with Stake GEO codes for some time. I would like to provide feedback that I think that whenever there's a change in the address of the Head of House, this field should be automatically emptied. This should happen whether it involved same ward, new ward, same stake, or new stake. Right now, it's not changing and I don't know that a person's address has changed so that I need to review the Stake GEO code.

Who/how would I make this suggestion?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Stake Geo Codes

Post by russellhltn »

You can try emailing your suggestion to mlssupport at ldschurch.org. But I wouldn't get your hopes up. The focus on development is to move features to on-line and away from MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jsmackley wrote:I've been working with Stake GEO codes for some time. I would like to provide feedback that I think that whenever there's a change in the address of the Head of House, this field should be automatically emptied. This should happen whether it involved same ward, new ward, same stake, or new stake. Right now, it's not changing and I don't know that a person's address has changed so that I need to review the Stake GEO code.
I personally don't like this suggestion. There are many reasons an address might change (standardizing street names or formats, or moving to 9-digit ZIP codes) that don't imply a physical move. And with ward divisions or other boundary changes, the code may not need to change.

I agree that it would be helpful to know that an address has changed, but causing information to be lost when there may well be no need for the geo code to be cleared seems a bit drastic as a proposed solution.

An alternative approach that can be done with current technology is to export the list of households, addresses, and geo codes to a spreadsheet that you then save. Then at some later date you can do another export and compare the addresses to see if they have truly changed and if their address change necessitates a change in the geo code.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:You can try emailing your suggestion to mlssupport at ldschurch.org. But I wouldn't get your hopes up. The focus on development is to move features to on-line and away from MLS.
This particular suggestion really isn't unique to MLS, even though it may currently apply only to MLS. Once the geo code and boundary change features move to Leader and Clerk Resources, the same issue will exist there.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

aebrown wrote:
russellhltn wrote:You can try emailing your suggestion to mlssupport at ldschurch.org. But I wouldn't get your hopes up. The focus on development is to move features to on-line and away from MLS.
This particular suggestion really isn't unique to MLS, even though it may currently apply only to MLS. Once the geo code and boundary change features move to Leader and Clerk Resources, the same issue will exist there.
The new boundary change feature won't use geo codes like MLS does. It will let you draw on the map and uses the members locations in lds.org/maps
jsmackley

Post by jsmackley »

aubrown: I would agree that sometimes addresses are changed for standardization purposes, but that is done by the wards as that stake doesn't have that ability. My purpose for suggesting it would be just to use it as a flag that it needs to be verified. I've also had many Stake Geo codes come in from other stakes that are not applicable to my stake. Those are easy to pick out, but more difficult.

rkjones: If they're creating a new boundary change feature, I'll wait for the enhancement as it sounds much better. thx
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:I personally don't like this suggestion. There are many reasons an address might change (standardizing street names or formats, or moving to 9-digit ZIP codes) that don't imply a physical move. And with ward divisions or other boundary changes, the code may not need to change.

I agree that it would be helpful to know that an address has changed, but causing information to be lost when there may well be no need for the geo code to be cleared seems a bit drastic as a proposed solution.
In my mind the alternative is worse. Sure, it's a pain when the data is lost simply because the address was reformatted. But realistically, that's only going to happen to a household once - and only some households. The alternative is that when using the data one has to review ALL the points on a regular basis because you can't be sure if they're still accurate. If information is lost, then it calls attention to get updated. If the information remains but is no longer accurate it's more insidious and more work to find and fix. And ultimately I'd think minimizing the workload is one of our major goals.

I believe that's how maps works now. And it's behavior decreases the value of the maps.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:In my mind the alternative is worse.
Well, that depends on your particular stake's situation; how geo codes are used, how often addresses change and why, etc. I was just offering a contrasting viewpoint based on my personal experience.

But this is all really rather irrelevant, given the helpful post of jonesrk explaining how boundary alignment will be done in the future on LCR. Geo codes will become obsolete, and we know MLS won't be updated to change their behavior at this point anyway.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:But this is all really rather irrelevant, given the helpful post of jonesrk explaining how boundary alignment will be done in the future on LCR.
True, but I'd like to see Maps updated.

dlpyro1957

Post by dlpyro1957 »

The Geo Code for the Ward was a great tool if not for anything else but for EP Emergency Perparnes.
it a great way to use for zones. I hope they keep that. Are the custom field, and Custom Reports also going away. Some of the filter were taking away in LDS Maps at least with LDS Tools you can make lisyt. It would be nice if they could show up on LDS Maps. and someway the Leadership could post list for the ward to use.

Return to “Membership Help”