Trouble streaming conference

Discussions around receiving conferences and broadcasts for the meetinghouse via Internet.
craiggsmith

Trouble streaming conference

Post by craiggsmith »

Anyone else have trouble streaming conference today? During the first talk this morning it froze several times and for several minutes at a time. The rest was fine until the last talk, when it didn't freeze but occasionally jumped back or forward in time by a few seconds. This afternoon it froze again a lot and we gave up halfway through.

FWIW I'm using a Windows 7 machine with a quad core i7 and 8G RAM, hardwired to a 60 Mbps internet connection. I have had no other apparent internet issues. Oh, and my provider is Comcast ....
Craig
South Jordan, UT
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Trouble streaming conference

Post by lajackson »

Saturday morning I had a 10 second freeze but it started up again.

Saturday afternoon I had about five freezes, each longer and longer, until the last one popped up a message that the feed was no longer available. I reloaded the page, moved the cursor back about the four minutes I had lost, and watched the rest of the session without further problems.

I have found with conference broadcasts (and other Church firesides) that the closer you are to "live" the harder it is to get a quality stream, but when you slide back a minute or two, you rarely have any problem.

Most of the afternoon problems started up about the time the NCAA broadcasts started going.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I am looking forward to hearing the first part of President Uchtdorf's talk when it becomes available on line. The Sunday morning session streaming was worse than I have ever experienced.

I had dropped back to about four minutes delay before things settled down, but during the choir number after Elder Holland's talk, the stream jumped live into the middle of President Uchtdorf's talk, and I was not able to recover. Each time I went back to try, the stream jumped from near the end of Elder Holland to part way into President Uchtdorf, with the choir totally gone.

Hopefully, they will get it fixed soon. Gotta love technology.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks very much. I paused the stream for a few minutes this morning at the beginning and it worked fine until towards the end of Elder Holland's talk. I tried pausing it again to no avail. I didn't see a cursor per se but drug the stream back several minutes. It played for a second and then froze. After that I couldn't get any response for at least 5 minutes; I tried another computer as well. All the while other sites and speedtest worked fine. I was then looking at the other options -- youtube etc -- when it started working again during Elder Uchtdorf's talk and was mostly fine until the end. Frustrating.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
ayoward

Post by ayoward »

We streamed conference live in our own meetinghouse for the first time today. I used a Raspberry Pi model B running Raspbmc with a wifi dongle using LDSAccess and our ADSL connection (around 7mbps), projector (borrowed from work), Speaker (as the little black box we were supplied to take a phono connection and plug into a mic socket no longer works) and the LDS Videos plugin/add-on for Kodi/XBMC and so was streaming live from BYUtv as I think that's the only option using this method.

We had a few freezes in this morning's session, nothing major, maybe ten seconds at the longest. Probably three or four times in the whole session. We also streamed Music & The Spoken Word before hand. What was more weird was the adverts in between MSW and the session of conference and also afterwards. They weren't really in keeping with what we were watching except the one for helives.mormon.org We had one advertising Heber Valley I think with all the lovely outdoor pursuits you could get up to. Quite interesting for a worldwide LDS audience, but we also had investigators in the congregation.

However, after having proved the concept this morning with the Raspberry Pi, this is an inexpensive way for each unit in our Stake to be able to watch conference using the facilities supplied flat screen TV and not have to rely on a member bringing a laptop or buying expensive kit. It can also be used for streaming Bible Videos and other content from lds.org, Mormon Channel and BYUtv. You just can't at present stream live from lds.org using this method.

Selby Ward
York England Stake
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ayoward wrote:However, after having proved the concept this morning with the Raspberry Pi, this is an inexpensive way for each unit in our Stake to be able to watch conference using the facilities supplied flat screen TV and not have to rely on a member bringing a laptop or buying expensive kit.
I think the thing I'd look for is something that can stream the stake webcast. Otherwise, one may be back looking for another solution. A solution that might well render the prior solution redundant/unneeded.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Interesting, thanks. It would be especially nice to find a small unit that could stream both HQ content and stake webcasts. I do find it annoying to watch conference either via byutv or KSL tv and have commercials come on that aren't church-related.

At any rate, I noticed that the regular lds.org stream defaulted to the youtube player for the afternoon session, and we didn't have any issues.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Receiving Internet Broadcasts”