Because He Lives

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
t0008sa

Because He Lives

Post by t0008sa »

Our bishop wanted to show the new video featured on the landing page of LDS.org this last Sunday ("He Lives"). Apparently it goes over to Mormon.org and it looks like the video is being fed from YouTube?

We couldn't get it working -- the circle would spin for a while then we get the following message:
An error occurred, please try again later.

This seemed to be the result regardless of computer platform or browser. The only way we got it to work was to turn my phone into a hotspot and connect the bishop's computer to the hotspot.

I just tried it again -- same result.

Any insights into this issue?

Thank you.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Because He Lives

Post by aebrown »

t0008sa wrote:Our bishop wanted to show the new video featured on the landing page of LDS.org this last Sunday ("He Lives"). Apparently it goes over to Mormon.org and it looks like the video is being fed from YouTube?

We couldn't get it working -- the circle would spin for a while then we get the following message:
An error occurred, please try again later.
The YouTube.com site is blocked by the meetinghouse firewall. When you set up a mobile hotspot, you were not going through the meetinghouse firewall, which explains why you were able to access YouTube.

To show it in a meetinghouse, you'll need to download it first, which can be done from the Watch and Share “Because He Lives” Easter Video page. Or you can also view it from that page, but it's always best in a meetinghouse to download, rather than relying on a live stream.
t0008sa

Post by t0008sa »

Thanks. It seems like there should be a link to Watch and Share... unless I missed it somehow?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

t0008sa wrote:Thanks. It seems like there should be a link to Watch and Share... unless I missed it somehow?
No, there wasn't a link for the download (to my knowledge) on the main "easter" site http://www.mormon.org/easter (or the link to that same page HeLives.mormon.org.) The download option link was only given if you happened to find it on the "church news" link given above. I find it very curious that the "sharing" options on Mormon.org would not include a download option, as that is what we must do in most of our church buildings...download it to share it. Streaming is not an option in my building.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

This is one of the those very inconsistent items in our 'strategy' for media in our meetinghouses. If you look at the site, the video is clearly hosted on youtube. A wise and loving STS will know that youtube is blocked. So, as long as you plan well ahead of time you should be able to get the video. There are plenty of youtube scraping sites to grab the video. http://keepvid.com/ is one of my favorites.

But when it happens during a 'revealatory meeting' then we're out-of-luck.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:This is one of the those very inconsistent items in our 'strategy' for media in our meetinghouses.
Which begs the question - was it meant to be shown in a meetinghouse? Reading the press release, it was intended to be used in a social campaign.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

russellhltn wrote:Which begs the question - was it meant to be shown in a meetinghouse? Reading the press release, it was intended to be used in a social campaign.
Yes, exactly. We know that Mormon.org is designed for those investigating or looking for information about the church that aren't already church members. It is likely that analytics is what's going on. How does this video compare with last year's Easter video... what about Christmas? The church has paid gazillions on bannerheads for youtube as well as having the links on Mormon.org so the youtube is valuable data going back many years at this point.

However, that said, it is still a social media campaign that The Church is wanting members to use. It doesn't seem out-of-the-ordinary that a Bishop would show a video in a 5th Sunday lesson/presentation to encourage members to use it.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
t0008sa

Post by t0008sa »

Which begs the question... shouldn't all church-produced material be readily available to stream in church buildings?

For example, in the investigator class (Gospel Principles), suppose a visitor comes in and mentions seeing the video and wanted to know more, so came to the building -- others in the class say -- "gee, we'd like to see that video!"

I totally understand the concept of downloading material in advance and I will do so at every opportunity -- but this case points out how, first, it wasn't obvious how to download the video, and, second, it was hosted on YouTube, so it couldn't be brought in through the building wi-fi.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

t0008sa wrote:Which begs the question... shouldn't all church-produced material be readily available to stream in church buildings?
Again, it comes back to the purpose of the video. And it may involve added expense to host it where it can be viewed in a church building. At that point it becomes a question of the widow's mite.

If a member views this at home, there's a "share" button right there. If the member sees it at church, I'd think they're less likely to pull it up at home to share it. The point of the video is to share.

This is all speculation on my part, but the point is that there may be reasons behind the situation. I do remember that when seminary got new videos some time back, word came down to the wards to either NOT show the video or to limit it just to adults. In order to keep the attention of the youth, the films had to be "fresh". If the wards showed it to all their members, then video would be "old" when shown to seminary.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wertdl
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by wertdl »

It's also in Gospel Library under Videos > Holiday Videos. You can stream or download it within the app.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”