Slingbox?

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
dougj

Slingbox?

Post by dougj »

We have been using the Church's old webcast, usually with problems. We have google fiber so bandwidth is not an issue.

We have been preparing to purchase the new webcast device from the Church. However, I just heard that another stake is using a slingbox without any issue.

What is the Church's positionon using a slingbox? Am I free to use it if I deem it feasible for us?

Thanks,
Dougj
Provo
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Slingbox?

Post by russellhltn »

From what I can tell, Slingbox only works for one viewer at a time. So if you want to broadcast to 4 buildings, you'll need 4 boxes (and enough bandwidth for the 4 streams). You won't be able to support a home-bound user without adding another box per user. OTOH, the church's new solution would allow you to feed up to 50 buildings/home-bound users. If my numbers are right, the VidiU becomes cheaper at 7 streams. (Not counting adapters.) Assuming you don't run out of upload bandwidth first.

I think the biggest issue with Slingbox is that your successor would not be able to get any support from the church.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dougj

Post by dougj »

One viewer at a time is an issue. Thanks for the reply.

http://support.slingbox.com/KB/KB-2000078
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Slingbox now forces ads in their players. I am no longer recommending them.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”