X Foster Child

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kbhuffaker

X Foster Child

Post by kbhuffaker »

My bishop ask me to ask this. There is a family in our ward who had a foster child living with them but things turned bad and the foster child left. The family and the foster child don't want to have anything to do with each other anymore. We know the town the foster child is no at but what aren't sure is if we need to mover the childs records out of the ward. We assume so but thought we we ask for assistance first. Can you assist me here?
eblood66

Re: X Foster Child

Post by eblood66 »

kbhuffaker wrote:My bishop ask me to ask this. There is a family in our ward who had a foster child living with them but things turned bad and the foster child left. The family and the foster child don't want to have anything to do with each other anymore. We know the town the foster child is no at but what aren't sure is if we need to mover the childs records out of the ward. We assume so but thought we we ask for assistance first. Can you assist me here?
The policy is that records should be in the unit where the person is residing. If you know the child's new address then it should be moved. If you don't know the address (and can't get it) then things are a bit harder. It doesn't do a lot of good to move the record to the new ward if the new ward has no way of locating the child. At very least your bishop should call the other bishop and explain the situation before you move the records. Actually, that's probably a good idea even if you do know the child's address.

If you can't get the address and there is more than one ward they could be in then you may have to move the records to the 'address unknown' file with a short explanation of the situation. But there are several steps you need to follow before doing that (which are listed in MLS before you can move the records). But many of those steps would not be applicable to this situation.
kbhuffaker

Re: X Foster Child

Post by kbhuffaker »

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Return to “Membership Help”